NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Exxon Mobil broke there old record by turning a profit of 40.6 billion dollars for the last year,and were paying 3 bucks a gallon for gas,what a joke!

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
MACKS wrote:
Exxon Mobil broke there old record by turning a profit of 40.6 billion dollars for the last year,and were paying 3 bucks a gallon for gas,what a joke!

What do u want Exxon to do? Not sell it at the current market PRICE?!

Exxon does not control the price of a barrel of oil...Hedge Funds, Speculation and Futures do.

·
Registered
17,305 Posts
algreek3 wrote:
MACKS wrote:

What do u want Exxon to do? Not sell it at the current market PRICE?!

Exxon does not control the price of a barrel of oil...Hedge Funds, Speculation and Futures do.

Correct and that contributes to at least 40% of the cost at the pumps.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Some of you voted this rich oilman Prez into office...Not once but twice you put this fool into office????
He had alot of "payback' to folks that contributed to his so callled "win"...

Now live with him

Did you expect things to be difrent?
I'm shocked oil isn't $4 a gallon!
The big boys need a comfy retirement at our expense

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Anybody have a 401k? A pension? An IRA?

Guess what you're invested in....

·
Registered
18,277 Posts
SinkerBouncer wrote:
Forget it, Mike, they?ll never get it.
Doesn?t matter that global demand keeps expanding and other countries own the fields, it?s always Bush and E/M lining their pockets.

If we can't blame em, what good is voting em into office anyway. LoL
:)

·
Registered
18,000 Posts
your kids and grandkids will pay for thier profits.

Al:

It's like this:

Lobbyists keep the prices where they are and the alternative energy solutions squashed....

Unless it's some easy money scheme, like storing IMPORTED natural gas in massive superstructures in the long island sound like broadwater....

·
Registered
41,913 Posts
i just got 1 of these. im done wasting money. im picking it up this week. hope two have it in in two weeks. 2500 out the door. pipe extra. a big nut but it must be done. stoves r going up in price. im burning oak pallets nd trees that fell in the woods nd theres a wood floor guy next door to our shop

Attachments

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
at the risk of sounding like a bushie apologist, (im not, i think hes a moron too), id love for someone, anyone, explain to me how the white house controls the price of oil. or even the hedge funds and speculators for that matter.

john i hear you. economics 101.

bill, its not too late, u havent missed precious metals. its tough to reach down, grab em and buy here. but, id be looking to add on any pullbacks. 125 basis points in eight days does not define a defending of the dollar. and as the dollar weakens.....and the central banks have turned around their historically consistent selling of their gold inventories. think big short cover rally....

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Yeah Mike, know what you mean. I was talking about missing PM when gold was 460.00 LMAO!!! Who'd a thunk 1,000.00!!!! I've been in energy since oil was under$1.00 a gallon, that's the price ride I want!!!

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
And everyone very conviniently forgets that China and India are growing exponentially their use of oil. Simple supply and demand.

ps- For 30 years I've heard how unfair it was that Americans pay so little for gas and oil compared to Europe, etc. Now that we are paying a lot more why aren't these people happier?

pps- Petrolium is a major component in the plastics industry. The computer you're using to read and reply to this message wouldn't be possible (and as cheap!) without oil. You can't make plastic out of solar.

·
Registered
27,361 Posts
For all the complaining about "Big Oils' Obscene Profits", keep in mind that the oil companies earn around $.13 per gal on gas while the GOVERNMENT TAKES IN MORE THAN 4 TIMES THAT!!!! THE Government's take is DOUBLE the oil companies "Obscene Profits". What should we be calling the Taxes? Unconcionably obscene?

Who Profits at the Pump?

Posturing At the Pumps

.......In real (inflation-adjusted) rather than nominal dollars, $3.07 is less than gasoline cost in 1981.
But it's all Bushco's Fault... LOL

Why don't we ask people like Ted Kennedy, Robert Byrd and the rest of the dinasaurs in Washington (on both sides of the aisle) why, afetr all of these years and all the rhetoric they still haven't made any real moves to get us off our dependence on foreign oil. Some of them have been down there since the Oil embargo of the 70's and they never did a **** thing!

·
Registered
7,855 Posts
White House only taxes gas...

White House has almost ZERO effect on the price of oil...

People need to learn how the oil futures market works...

In simple terms, its almost like a stock; Goes up and down due to current events and news and outlook of production and consumption...

OIL COMPANIES can NOT control the price and White House has NO control...

Please stop spewing LIBERAL propoganda...

I can go trade in the oil futures market...

And so can YOU!!!

Exxon is a PRIVATE company that tries to make the most money it can...What is so wrong with that?!?!?!? This is a capitalist economy...GO TO VENEZUELA if u dont like it...

or be smart and buy oil stocks!

This post edited by algreek3 01:05 PM 02/03/2008

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
Scott1280 wrote:
For all the complaining about "Big Oils' Obscene Profits", keep in mind that the oil companies earn around $.13 per gal on gas while the GOVERNMENT TAKES IN MORE THAN 4 TIMES THAT!!!! THE Government's take is DOUBLE the oil companies "Obscene Profits". What should we be calling the Taxes? Unconcionably obscene?

Excellent point!

Do a search and you'll find amny articles over the last couple fo years how government (fed and state) tax revenues from gas sales are down due to conservation, better efficient cars/burners etc. and people generally not travelling as much. Some states are considered increasing the gas/oil tax rate to make up for it!

Just imagine what will happen when we all switch to electric or fuel cell cars. I'm sure the gov will find a way to tax those too. But just think of the cry from gov about the loss of tax revenue!

That's the hypocracy of it all. Same as with tobacco. People reduce smoke so tax revenues from tobacco sales intended to finance all sorts of things dries up too.

No one ever syas government should tighten it's belt and get by with less, but that's ok for gov to tell us to do!

·
Registered
11,637 Posts
algreek3 wrote:
Exxon is a PRIVATE company that tries to make the most money it can...What is so wrong with that?!?!?!? This is a capitalist economy...GO TO VENEZUELA if u dont like it...

I'm not a conspiracy theorist. But I think the case can be made that over the last 20 years or so there has definately been a movement to systematically attack and destroy the very foundations of the capitalist system and American investment markets.

First it was the areospace and defense industry as making profits from war and death. Then it was drug companies putting profits before helping sick people. Then tobacco killing 50,000 children a year from second hand smoke (hoe ridiculous is that?!). Than it was fatty foods like McDonalds aimed at making our children fat. Lately some shots have been taken at candy and snack food companies. And it's no coincidence that beer ads have totally changed from how they were years ago (they don't want to be attacked like tobacco). Today oil and energy are just the latest targets.

More than specific companies there all represent the corner stone of American industries and businesses that provide millions of jobs and billions in revenue at all levels. And are the foundations for many people's 401ks, pensions and IRAs. Even without basic market risk there is no "safe" industry anymore that can't be attacked. The same arguments about profits before people can be made for anything.

Which way does the wind blow today? :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.