NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an '95 Evinrude 225. At the end of last season fuel alarm would sound as I neared 4000 rpms. When I backed off throttle, alarm would stop. Changed all fuel filters, no help. This spring I had mechanic change all filters in fuel and oil systems. Worked great 2 X's out. Yesterday my problem came back. Seems to happen after engine runs a while and strains in heavy chop. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Here's the deal on that. Most fuel tanks when set up by the manufacturer come through with check valves because the mfg does not know what kind of boat the tank will be installed into. Your engine has a vacuum sensor on the fuel line which will set the alarm off if your pump pulls more than 4 lbs of vacuum and it will because of the check valve at around 3800 rpm. You only need a check valve by law if your engine is lower than your fuel tank. This is usually the case with io's and inboards but not outboards. You will not have a gravity drain from your tank to your engine with an outboard. The check valve is more than likely the culprit so remove it. I went through the same problem with my 1997 Johnson Ocean Runner, until a dealer mechanic told me what to do and why. I hope this helps.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all. I'm hearing from others that it's probably the check valve. I'm removing it. I'm also changing the fuel lines. The strainers been checked so I'm banking on the other two. Safe than sorry. Thanks again. BFLANO

·
Registered
36 Posts
alarm

It could be the same, but be aware that
the same buzzer is used to signal different problems and you need to figure out what the alarm is telling you.The alarm has different patterns for different problems. It could also be you vro or you may be overheating. I used to
own an 87 90 hp Evenrude and that's all I remember from the manual. Sorry, but I gave the manual away a few years back. I hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.