NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Chris,

Happy New Year. I am not knowledgeable in big reels, deep sea fishing. It the Everoll 9/0 considered to be a WIDE reel, as in say a 50W.

I have a potential customer looking to use this reel on an 80# stand up rod. What blanks do you like to make a 5 1/2' or 6' stand up with a Unibutt?

Thanks for the help. See you at the shows/Bash.

Neil

·
Registered
732 Posts
Captain,

Happy New Year..

You are going to have to cut the rod unless you get a CTS or Graphite USA Shortie...Hi Five Billy may have the details on the Graphite USA)

(Pac Bay and Amtek also make shorties but I don't like the pull)

If I was going to match that reel with a Unibutt, I would look at the SuperSeeker SS-CTSF55XXH or SS-CTSF55XXXH; Calstar Grafiter GF7455XH or GF7455XXH

If he is targeting giants then I would opt for the stiffer blank and heavier line...

I use the SS-CTSF55XXH and it is really nice. I built it straight thru, but could have easily cut it down or used the SS-CTSF50XXH and fit to the unibutt.

I use Penn 70VS on these set ups.
Do you know what he is targeting for fish?

Ernie

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Guys,

I am still accumilating info. Basically I probably have never seen an Everol 9/0. Your input is always appreciated. After all the info is collected from good folks like yourselves then a more intelligent decision can be made.

I will stay in the loop with you.

Thanks,

Neil

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi,

It may be as simple as that he already has the reel. We hav only emailed and when we get a phone call in we can get down to the bottom of it.

I have built on the Seekers and Calstars and like them. I do cut the butts to size. With the thinner butts now I am using UB2's instead of UB4's with the blessing of AFTCO. It works!!! Stay tuned.

Thanks.

Neil

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Fishwisher

It's simple. I have the reel. Why are you confused about a standup 80? It will be used in the canyons. Doesn't anybody fish 80's anymore? I have the reel mounted on a Tuna Stick with a UB2 short bent. The problem is it doesn't really fit that great. The UB4 is more of an 80lb class butt. Boat doesn't have a chair so I don't want the long butt.

This post edited by makoexpress 09:49 AM 01/02/2008

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
makoexpress wrote:
Doesn't anybody fish 80's anymore?

They certainly do, just not with 80lb line. The 80 sized reels mostly get filled with 200lb spectra these days. You can fish 80lb and 100lb on any of the modern 30 sized reels, like the new Everol 4/0 Chris has been talking up. It's a lot more ergonomic, you know? But hey, you already have the reel, you know what kind of a rod you want to put it on, so don't let internet a-holes tell you what to do.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I understand about the spectra and the size of the reel being large for standup. It's just that I have it and want to match a rod with it. I also like the larger drag washer which is why I don't use 30's in the canyons. The new Everol Canyon Special is very intersting with the heavy drag. That one I would concider.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Rod for 9/0

Capt neil et all. The 9/0 is taller and narrower than a Penn80 a little better balanced. I would use a Calstar Bommer junior or the
equivilent Grapfighter. The short Butt works and you only have to cut from the back. I have also used blank through construction with a heavy reelseat with Tunablocks. A slickbutt epoxied directly to the blank is very strong. I actually had to turn the back of one blank down in a big engine lathe to get the sliclbutt to fit.Then I epoxied it with a real good 2-part epoxy petit used to make called polypoxy.

Chris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.