NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Have trouble at very edge of my wraps where
the wraps meet the blank I can never get that tapered edge I use a drying motor but can't get that nice tapered edge is there a trick to it?

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
dwk2252,

I think the trick is in the application of the epoxy.

Some people install a masking tape ring just off the wrap. They apply the epoxy and just before placing rod in drying box they remove the masking tape. It works, albeit more time and labor.

Maybe you can try loading the brush with more epoxy. Lay the brush on and just off the wrap as the rod spins. This way you get a nice buildup of epoxy and it will flair out as it levels and is spining and drying.

Capt Neil

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

G

·
One thing you can do is make some kind of hand rest,I think you will find that it gives you far more control then trying freehand when applying epoxy.
John

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I use the masking tape I guess I should remove it before the epoxy dries fully wouldn't it be hard to remove the tape otherwise when it dries I like to Thank you for your advice it's very helpful are you going to be at the Freeport show in Febuary? if so I 'd like to stop by and see your work.

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
dwk2252,

Take the tape off about 20 minutes or so after you install the epoxy.

I will be sharing a double booth with my friend Al Goldberg, "rod prof", at the Freeport Show. Look forweard to meeting you.

Capt Neil

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

·
Registered
117 Posts
dwk,

I used to use the same method Captn Neil suggested, but you can substitute scotch tape instead... I found it gives cripier edges. Just keep an eye on the epoxy you don't use to see when it starts to set up (thicken) then pull the tape off.

With experience, you will be able to steady your hand enough to do this with a brush or spatula only. Goodluck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.