NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a eel trap out in the Portchester/Greenwich area for a a week or two back in September...it didn't produce- using mack as bait.

I believe they are around all year but in what quantity? Am I jsut kidding myself or what?

·
Registered
58 Posts
eels

You are not mistaking, during the summer i have seen alot of eels in the western sound, my yard is in the eastchester bay and their have been BIG eels bye the docks. I have also seen big eels last Nov on the side of Stepping Stone light house when i was out fishing in my small boat.so keep it up you might get some next year, km

·
Registered
24 Posts
eels-- western LI Sound...and bays

Locals used to spear eels in Manhasset bay, Great Neck side using an eel spear that looked like a small rake with sharp, close tines. They did it through holes they chopped through the ice in the winter time. That was about 1945. Then when I was a lifeguard at bar beach in 1949 and 1950, there was an old dude that had what can be called an eel line from the beach just southof the power house. It went out in the channel about 50 yards and had hook-lines that went to the bottom, like crab lines. Periodically he would pull in the eel line on pullies and if an eel had taken a hook, he'd bag it. It was too far across the channel from the lifeguard stand to get a good look at whether he was doing any good but he toiled all summer, so it must have been pretty good fishing. Also when we swam under the raft in front of our beach, there was always four or five wopper eels in the shade of the raft. GYB

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Eels

Thnx for the input ...i am going to put it out Tuesday at low tide when I can walk it out good distance...I will put in some mack and a filleted blue fish carcus and see what happens ..i'll check it next sat. so it woull be a good few days in there

This post edited by Dfisch 11:46 AM 12/31/2007

·
Registered
435 Posts
Eelin'

I grew up in Mystic,CT and we used to catch hundreds of them in the coves, the best bait for the trap was always live minnows and killies. Used to bait the traps next to shore with bread in the morning and then in the afternoon pull em up loaded with minnows,mummychugs, killies and spearing for flukin', then leave a dozen or so in the pot and drop em' in the middle of the cove. First thing the nest morning they would be loaded with eels. Then rebait the bread and start all over again.

With the eels we would catch blues and the very rare occasional bass back then. Took the carcasses and baited the lobster traps off Enders island for the ultimate prize! I look back on those summers as some off the best times in my life. Good luck, hope some of this helps.

·
Registered
770 Posts
in the sound smaller eels work better for me. 8-16" use a killie trap with an extention in the middle. use carcuses or cut bunker. mackeral will work fine. set the trap at dusk come back at dawn. the eels will leave the trap once it gets light out. that might be the reason why you didnt catch any. in the summer at night we catch them on porgy rigs or hi-lo rigs with long shanked hooks fished on the bottom with dead spearing or sandworms. earthworms work too. place the trap around a muddy bottom or aroud a jetty. make sure it stayes on the bottom all the time. hope this helps

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.