NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When fishing eels from the open beach does anyone use a trolling sinker to help keep the eel close to the bottom and to get it out past the breakers?

I have attached a picture of a trolling sinker in case you have another name for it and don't know what I'm talking about.

This message was edited by basshole on 1-25-02 @ 8:15 AM

· Registered
80 Posts
I usually dont use a "drail" is what I thought it was called.....either way if you have the big 15 inch + eels they are good for casting and have the habit of heading straight for the bottom..(like all eels do)....If your at an inlet with strong current you could always add one to get to strike zone quicker....or an egg sinker before the barrel swivel.....

I usually use 90 pound barrel on one end, 3 feet of 50 pound flourocarbon and 5/0 , 6/0 tuna style hook , gamakatsu octopus hook etc...

with this I get good distance, strong connections and camuflage of the flouro......I dont like to add drail/trolling sinker to main line for fear of weaking my connections.....if you have to, use egg sinker, or for ease of changing weights connect drail to barrel swivel and just let it hang.....this way it has no impact to line connection.....dont forget most bass on eels are big and some of the drail look very fragile.....

Later....

· Registered
131 Posts
I usually use eels with a 3 or4oz.weight attached to a fishfinder slide,that way the eel can swim and look more natural.After you cast,let 3or5'of slack out,and let the ell do his thing. My favorite is to fish near a rock jetty this way.

· Registered
19 Posts
Lenman.......Ever catch a striper on an eel? From your "advice" you sound like you've caught you're share. I'm just asking because I wouldn't want to take your advice if you hadn't experienced any success with it. Thanks.

· Registered
151 Posts
Basshole,

From the beach let him go free no wieght, from inlet same unless rough conditions, then i usually add a 1 to a 1 1/2 ounce egg sinker. I like to use bigger eels in the inlets and the smaller one on the ocean . Bigger eels will find there way faster to the bottom in the inlet currents. Using the bigger ones then in the inlet does not require a weight. I have had much sucess free-weight on the inlet side with eel. Ocean side eel fishing has not been as productive due to the timing.( always get hit by the blues and left with a head or more).

always gottafly

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.