NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am targeting a trophy striper. Most of my research tells me that fishing eels from a boat is the way to go. It also tells me that I should be fishing on the new and full moon at night.

Here is where I get confused, during the new and full moon the tide is the highest and the current is the strongest. My research indicates that drifting eels should "NOT" be done when the current is strong. What is the best part of the tide to drift eels on the new and full moon tides?

Thanks
Carmen B

·
Registered
235 Posts
strong tides are just fine for eeling i have caught them real good while drifting as fast as 2.3 knots (boat speed not current speed). the major downfall of eeling is wind against tide where the fish are it will bring the best captains down to their knees!! you have to move to get em from a boat either 1.2 to a 1.8 knot drift is a great drift anything higher or lower it could get tough...BOB

·
Registered
18 Posts
Carmen this Oct. during the new and full moon the eels did not produce like other moon phases,i personally think that the fishing slacks off a little on those two moons,maybe current to fast or who knows.

·
Registered
981 Posts
My research indicates that drifting eels should "NOT" be done when the current is strong.

Carmen...you don't want to be too dogmatic about current speed when it comes to fishing w/ live eels. For example, I fish in and around Woods Hole, the channel that connects Buzzards bay and Vineyard Sound. When the tide runs through there it's common to find that you're dealing with 5 and 6 knot currents...but look around and you'll see a number of locals (although some might characterize them as crazies) working the rock ledges, currents-be-dammed...some mighty big stripers come out of there on summer nights when Mr. Wiggly zips through their haunts on a good drift. Don't forget, stripers are predators...their reflexes are sharp & they can move fast when they want to. The trick is to learn how to get (and keep) the eel down deep in a fast moving current & that comes with experience. Trial & error, as they say. Make sure your research includes a lot of time spent trying out stuff...even the stuff "they" say can't be done. ;):)

Jerry Vovcsko,
East Bridgewater, Ma

This message was edited by Jerryvov on 11-24-01 @ 7:18 PM

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bob, Suzanne, Jerry,

Thanks for the info. I'm going eeling on the New and Full Moons and I am going to fish right thru the tide. I will find a way to keep the eels down in the strike zone and I will just use trial and error to make adjustments until I connect with the trophy. Thanks again Carmen B.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.