NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

· Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I dont know if anyone have asked this question before. Has anyone eaten bunker or menhaden caught from the surf? Are they edible like shad and herring? I know the bunker I caught got lots of oil in the meat. I was told by a fellow fisherman who has eaten them. He told me they are good. I know most fish are edible but do they taste good? I dont want to sound crazy. :) We use bunker for bluefish and striper. I have never seen bunker sold in fish market. Those are the reasons I asked this question.

· Registered
264 Posts
Old family recipe for barbequed bunker.
Get a nice hot fire going, let it die down to coals. Get a brick that is about he same size of each bunker. Place the bricks with the bunker on top cover in fresh horse manure. Wait a week dig out brick with bunker on top.
!EAT THE BRICK!
Shag;)

· Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shaq, that's funny. :) I will only use my bunker for fishing now. Sounds like no one eats them. I asked my grandma. She said those kind of fish is edible but taste awful. It is a very good fish with omega protein like salmon. I took my fresh bunker just caught tonight and smelled it. It smelled like fresh bunker. I cut a piece and put it on the stove with aluminum foil. It smelled very good when cooked. I took a sample and immediately liked it. It has an iodine taste. I think it tasted like eating humpback porgy.

· Registered
1,548 Posts
I don't know if its true but I've heard that they were eaten alot in Colonial times. Suppose to be a great source for protein. I'd never eat one though. My buddy took a fresh one and fried it up...you wouldn't believe the smell or smoke...we never got the nerve to actually taste it though.

· Registered
11,588 Posts
I suppose you could prepare it in such a way as to make some kind of fish meal or fish cakes but it would take an awful lot of preparation to get it paletable! Not worth the effort IMO.

Jaiem
ArtsNFlies.com

· Registered
491 Posts
Pass on the bunker, give me some Spearing

i have seen people prepare and eat bunker. they all soak the bunker in milk overnight then cook it.
the milk seems to cut the oily taste a bit.
i tired the bunker, it was ok to eat this way, not the best tasting fish, but it was edible.

if you want to eat some bait, go get a seine net, drag it on the beach for some spearing, wash them good, then coat them with flour and deep fry.
get a good dipping sauce and you have some crunchy and tasty fish sticks.
you can eat the whole fish head and all.
these are good.
you will find spearing sold for food in fishmarkets, and especially in italian neighborhoods during christmas time.

· Registered
140 Posts
forget bunker try sand eels

The best fish i have ever eaten was regurgitated sand eel from a blue fish. I am not kidding they were still alive and very good. Bunker are un edible. And take it from me will give you the sheets for about a week. later

· Registered
343 Posts
Eating Bunker?

Someone was pulling your leg.
The smell alone will kill your appetite.
I can't even eat potato chips unless I wash my hand after baiting the hook!

BUT...

The guy who told you about SPEARING wasn't joking! Washing is only necessary with store-bought fish. Breading isn't needed either! This is 100% for real ...light a charcoal fire on the bay beach, when the coals glow add a wok and some oil. Wade with a 2-man seine net, and scoop up spearing by the hundreds! Pick out the big ones, and throw them back (they don't cook as fast - inside). Dump the seine right into the hot oil...stand back! One minute or less and all the spearing are golden-brown colored and crunchy. Drain them on a paper towel to get rid of extra oil, just like potato pancakes. Tastes like fish and chips rolled into one. Not an "aquired taste", if you try it with an open mind, you will like it, provided you like fishy-tasting french fries.

Flounder

· Registered
178 Posts
Bunker, NO!

But spearing is a definite possibility... Believe it or not, some years ago, maybe 5-6, there was a huge Asian family with their seine net in Mt. Sinai grabbing spearing, they didn't even cook them, just gobbled them up.... Made me sick to my stomach, but my father said they are eaten a lot, but many people choose to fry them.

For me to eat them I'd probably have to cut the head off and rip out whatever guts are left.... I'm not a fan of eating heads and guts.....

· Registered
264 Posts
That was an old joke, my father used to say it when ever the coot hunters returned with their brace of Seaducks. "Hey ya want a good recipe for those Coot"......... He always used the brick. I guess it lends some color;)
Shag

1 - 20 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.