NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well it seems like every fish in the ocean will make the reduction list.
Well slowly but surely we are following what happened out West and in no time you will see closed species sooner then you think.

Any thoughts from all you people that can live with the Regs the way they are going. I see so many saying they can live with the reductions.
But what happens when you are shut out from fishing shortly will you then look back and regret being passive to the MSA quota in place today and not doing more to stop it?

We all know we have a problem but to meet the MSA in reality we may see many fish shut out to the public.
Fluke = 1
So what do you think will be next?

And those of you who feel that choice 10 from the Fluke option list is the best, are in a catch 22 for the longer season and larger size fish will close the quota quicker then the shorter fish just from doing the numbers.

So your opinions on what to do and is there a way to stop this before it is to late?

Fire away >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

P.S I WILL DO CATCH AND RELASE CHARTERS

Funny I did post this in another post but still no one intrested ?

I am dead serious on this I want the jump on it for many will soon follow

This post edited by togmaster 07:37 AM 02/09/2008

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
catch and release

Most if not all Charter operations already offer C n R , Its the clients choice how to handle their legal catch .

Im not sure what your Going to get in early on.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I have said this before but I can say it again. Fishing is a SPORT. That is why I do it. Not to eat. If a guy goes out on his boat three times a week to catch food so his family can eat for a week, then sell the boat. Thats alot of groceries.
There is no need for someone to catch the limit everytime out. For what? Throw some in the freezer and forget aboout it? Till you have to throw it out. Even better is " I will give some to my friend". If your friend wants fish then he should go fishing. Most likely won't happen.
Sometimes it is just the fact that humans are glutonous. That's the American way. But don't forsake our natural resources because you want to show off. A picture says a thousand words and can save a thousand fish.
Impose your own limits onto yourself and those you fish with. If everyone does this we may have chance to save our fisheries.

·
Registered
844 Posts
This is just my opinion, I think more and more people are going to keep illegal fish, at least enough to put on the dinner table.
On a charter boat or a party boat who is responsible for an illegal catch ?
It's easy enough to walk away from a cooler on a party boat and deny responsibility, then who gets the fine , if any?
I feel bad for the owners of charter and party boats, it's hard enough trying to squeak out a living without having to put up with regs that seem unreasonable.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
The guy that posses them is responsible

That said

If on a Pb you the fisherman walk away from the illegal catch . the fine falls on the boat. So it in the boats best interest to limit or stop the keeping of shorts during the couse of the day ,from that standpoint

On the charter boat Its easier to put the fish with the customer but by the same token harder for the crew to deny culpability since again the enviroment they were caught in is so small.
I have been told by ECOs , that in a small group setting (charter , or light pb crowd) they will issue summons to both Customer and crew for short or over the limit catchs.
Im not saying that this is allowable or even legal . Basicaly they will trow a lot of crap against the wall a see what sticks

·
Registered
948 Posts
Togmaster wrote:
Weall know we have a problem but to meet the MSA in reality we may see many fish shut out to the public.

If the "problem" you are referring to is relative abundance of fluke then I do not agree. If the problem you refer to is MSA then I completely agree.

As Tony mentioned catch and release is nothing new in the charter business. I do them every year. Next to happy hour trips they are the easiest charters I have.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
I don't advertise C&R but what the cutomer wants to do with a legal fish is up to him. Lots of fish have been released that could have been kept. As far as shorts go, I stick to the rules, no matter what the customer wants. I haven't come accross one customer yet that didn't understand.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
MakoMike wrote:
I don't advertise C&R but what the cutomer wants to do with a legal fish is up to him. Lots of fish have been released that could have been kept. As far as shorts go, I stick to the rules, no matter what the customer wants. I haven't come accross one customer yet that didn't understand.

Maybe as an advocate for fisheries management you should advertise Catch an release is available.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
frankiesurf wrote:
MakoMike wrote:

Maybe as an advocate for fisheries management you should advertise Catch an release is available.

Advocating for good fisheries management doe not mean I think no fish should be killed. IMHO advertising that C&R is available is like advertising that we will be fishing on the ocean. IOW most people already realize that the fish is theirs to do with as they please. I do get a lot of questions about who owns the fish, especially when it comes to tuna fishing. My answer is always the same, the customer owns all the fish that cen be legally kept.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I have seen it on PB's. A guy catches a keeper and wants to toss it back in. Everybody on the boat bitches and ostracizes this guy and guilts him into keeping it. If they knew it was not a problem maybe it would happen more. This doesn't just go for you but for all charter, PB and private boat operators.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
catch n relase only >>>>>>>>>>>

Tony how many C n R charters do you do?
I know the option is there and always has but
I love to hear of people that do strick ones

So like I stated before how many of you will pay to do a strick catch n relase charter
I see not one straight yes yet

Iam not claiming to be the first but I am saying the way things are going with abdinging by the MSA this may be our only choice for certian species

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If the "problem" you are referring to is relative abundance of fluke then I do not agree. If the problem you refer to is MSA then I completely agree. wrote:

STRICKLY THE MSA ON THIS ONE
IT WENT FROM THE GARBAGE DUMP TO THE GATEs OF **** IN MY EYES

The data and science could never give a ideal est. of the population
it is a joke this is almost impossible to do.
These jokers called scientist are not out there seeing it they are just recording the numbers reported so how in a real world will that ever work

This post edited by togmaster 11:12 AM 02/09/2008

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
togmaster wrote:
So like I stated before how many of you will pay to do a strick catch n relase charter

I have already paid for strickly C&R charters for marlin. Do it every time I charter for marlin. I personally do not believe that marlin should be killed but I love fishing for them. Also, I do tell my ofshore charters that if we catch a marlin its going to be released.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
C N R

I did 2 last year

1 was a single gentelman from I believe Russia he was a guest at a manhatten hotel.
It was a 1 man charter for blues C n R all day then back home
He has re booked for next season already

The other was also for out of town tourist while the reason for the C n R is not conservation minded the results are the same booked paid for C n R trips that were re booked

And those are the strictly C n R trips we do many many trips for Bass/blues and Tog to an extent where the clients only want x number for table fare andrelease the rest .

I will make the point that many fresh water anglers spend many many $$ anually for short season fisheries and the do a lot of C n R . Many Big game fisherman as wellspend millions in tackel and travel to release a fish. The concept is not new , just different

Its a mind set that we in the salt havent gotten yet but may need To

Not saying that I could live on it but In the charter business . Its like MM said stating C n R is like stating we will be in saltwater . Its a given . If I ever felt there was a need to put it in my ads it would be there in a hurry

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
not out of the tri state mike

MakoMike wrote:
togmaster wrote:

I have already paid for strickly C&R charters for marlin. Do it every time I charter for marlin. I personally do not believe that marlin should be killed but I love fishing for them. Also, I do tell my ofshore charters that if we catch a marlin its going to be released.

Guess the catch and relase chater business is a low field these days
Mike why woukld you go from tog, fluke to Marlin?

got any goods in the basement to share ? I could use some good stuff

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Come on now will ya

MakoMike wrote:
What you don't believe that we catch marlin out of northeastern ports? You were talking about C&R fishing AFAIK it wasn't limited to groundfish.

Mike those that target Marlin in the noreast do catch n relase as a rule of thumb it is also a game fish as well

the bowel is getting larger :)

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
ITs COMING THIS WAY-

JR...I am still trying to figure out this East Coast vs West Coast thing...Wasn't there a gangsta' RAP song by Tupac or Biggie Smalls, East Coast vs West Coast?

But on a more serious matter:

Something I want everyone to be aware of as far as catch and release coming to this area:

This has now become law within Florida:

The FWC also approved new rules that require all commercial and recreational anglers fishing for any Gulf reef fish species to use circle hooks, dehooking devices and venting tools. Non-stainless steel circle hooks must be used to catch any Gulf reef fish with natural bait. The dehooking device should be ?constructed to allow the hook to be secured and the barb shielded without re-engaging during the removal process.? Venting tools are to be ?a sharpened, hollow instrument?such as a hypodermic syringe with the plunger removed or a 16-gauge needle fixed to a hollow wooden dowel.? Knives and ice picks may not be used.

The FWC is the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission , and these new fishery regulations were put into place to conform to the Federal regulations in southern waters for Venting tools now being required on vessels fishing state waters.

To understand how encompassing this regulation is, all FISH that are considered REEF FISH will require fishermen to have and use:

1- non stainless steel cirlce hook(s) (NATURAL BAITS-DEAD OR ALIVE)
2- dehooking devise
3- venting tool

(I also understand that most fishermen in Florida use circle hooks for almost all there inshore top water game fish while fishing with natural baits)

Reef fish as per the Federal definition and the SAFMC:

Groupers (including Sea Bass), Snappers, Amberjack (family), Tilefish (Family), Porgy (family), White Grunt, Hogfish, and Trigger fish (family

Anyone who has fished Florida waters understands that is basically all the fish you will encounter when fishing any of the reefs and ledges within that states waters.

Catch and release is the future in Saltwater Fishing, and anglers must be prepaired to bring along certain items now to ensure that all fish caught, are properly handled to decrease mortality on the fish that are returned back to the water.

With bag, size and seasonal limits continuing to get even tighter, eventually C&R will be the way we fish in our area in the near future.

Welcome to 21st century fishery regulations.

EC NEWELL MAN><

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
A Message to all

Catch and release is the future in Saltwater Fishing, and anglers must be prepaired to bring along certain items now to ensure that all fish caught, are properly handled to decrease mortality on the fish that are returned back to the water. wrote:

Steve on antoher note I think we will cover this topic at the Noreast seminar in March.Steve and I did a hands on seminar and included this in our seminar and find it to be very impotant for all to learn proper release of fish
I encourage those unsure of proper handling to attend the Mar 29-30 2008
Suffolk Community College
Sminar we will answer questions and give you the best methods to insure proper release.

Hope to see you all there ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.