NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the trevela rods have any advantage to normal style east coast jigging rods or west coast rods calstars,seekers,etc. Ex. my new grafighter 40-100 700xh to my 80-200 trevela, is there a big difference in jig action between these rods. I know if the bite is hot on the way up, the speed of a jig on the retrieve does matter some nights, but I can't see how a good bend or no bend at all can affect the bite.

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
When you check Japanese style jigging rods, see the lure weight. The adequate Japanese tuna jigging rods should have lure weights from 400 gram to 600 gram depending on how big tuna you target.
Forget about line ratings in Trevala rods.

·
Registered
87 Posts
jig weight rating vs line rating

a 400-600 gm *** weight is from 14.25-21.4 oz
... isn't that a bit above the average tuna jig?? whats the thinking here? Also, what was that hopper rod rated at i used in PV?

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
fishchaser23 wrote:
... isn't that a bit above the average tuna jig?? whats the thinking here? Also, what was that hopper rod rated at i used in PV? Chaee, it doesn't mean you need to use such a heavy jigs.
The line weights tell you the backbone of the rod you need.
Many guys think Trevala rods are good for offshore game fish based on the line rating upto 200 lbs. It is misleading. So I give some idea what kind of rod they should choose for tuna jigging.

·
Registered
50 Posts
fishchaser23 wrote:
... isn't that a bit above the average tuna jig?? whats the thinking here? Also, what was that hopper rod rated at i used in PV?

Generally, you choose the jig weight -sometimes shape/design too- based on how deep you locate the fish, then how much current is running.

The deeper the fish are holding in the water and faster the current, the heavier the jig.

·
Registered
50 Posts
CAPTJEFFHB wrote:
Ex. my new grafighter 40-100 700xh to my 80-200 trevela, is there a big difference in jig action between these rods.

Yes, there's a big difference in the action that each of these rods would impart on the same jig.

The 700xh would do a good job working a 400g jig whereas the t80-200 would do better on a 150g-200g jig.

A good jig rod will have a flexible enough tip to effectively work a jig up to its gram rating, but still have enough backbone to quickly land a powerful fish without bottoming out.

Another way to think of your example would be throwing poppers with a 7'4" Tallus boat rod.

This post edited by Ragman 12:41 PM 02/01/2008

·
Registered
687 Posts
fishchaser23 wrote:

My hopper rod is rated to 400 grms. and is fine for my limited experience with the rod so far. Caught 3 tuna on it so far with the largest 80 lbs. using a 8 oz. jig.

·
Registered
601 Posts
KILSONG wrote:
fishchaser23 wrote:
... isn't that a bit above the average tuna jig?? whats the thinking here? Also, what was that hopper rod rated at i used in PV? Chaee, it doesn't mean you need to use such a heavy jigs.
Many guys think Trevala rods are good for offshore game fish based on the line rating upto 200 lbs. It is misleading. So I give some idea what kind of rod they should choose for tuna jigging.

from what i've seen of the trevalas, i would never get one for any fish over 40lbs. They do not have a backbone as far as I can tell. I'm not saying they're poor rods, just not suited for large fish.

However - I have heard the new models are better, but haven't seen this in action.

Shimano has great advertisers :)

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
bretabaker wrote:
KILSONG wrote:
fishchaser23 wrote:

from what i've seen of the trevalas, i would never get one for any fish over 40lbs. They do not have a backbone as far as I can tell. I'm not saying they're poor rods, just not suited for large fish.

However - I have heard the new models are better, but haven't seen this in action.

to set the record straight:
This past season we had a good amount of tuna action using the trevalas. Fish from 60-90lbs. Rod handled the fish just fine. I know there is "better" out there, but for jigging tuna in our canyons...so far so good! Its also nice to have such a light rod when your jigging for hours upon hours (especially for people like me with a crappy back)! I like em' Got my vote. As far as the long range west coast guys are concerned...I dont know if the trevala is the way to go on a 200-300 lb fish lol. But for here...they are fine.

·
Registered
687 Posts
BLUEFISH9 wrote:
bretabaker wrote:
KILSONG wrote:
fishchaser23 wrote:

This past season we had a good amount of tuna action using the trevalas. Fish from 60-90lbs. Rod handled the fish just fine. I know there is "better" out there, but for jigging tuna in our canyons...so far so good! Its also nice to have such a light rod when your jigging for hours upon hours (especially for people like me with a crappy back)! I like em' Got my vote. As far as the long range west coast guys are concerned...I dont know if the trevala is the way to go on a 200-300 lb fish lol. But for here...they are fine.

I also have two trevalas and enjoy them very much. Its amazing the punishment they can take and like you said are ergonomically friendly. The best thing I like about them is they are fun to fish.

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
BLUEFISH9 wrote:

Do you fish on your boat or on the party boat ?
I hope you do not fish on the party boats with trevala rods.
I can handle 150 lbs tuna with the tevala rods, but is the rod right rods for big tuna ? No.
Try with rods with 400g - 600 g next time and compare with the trevalar rods. You'll notice the difference immediately.

Trevala TFC 63MH with 14 pound lift. See the foregrip. The line touches the hand.

500 g Jigging Master with 26 lbs lift.

Which rod do you think more suitable for tuna ?

This post edited by KILSONG 07:52 AM 02/02/2008

·
Registered
687 Posts
Kil,

All of my tuna fishing is done on head-boats and jig 95% of the time.
I normally bring 3 rods for jigging trevala, seeker and hopper. Have caught on all three. Of course there have been one or two situations when I 've had fish on the trevala when I wished it was on one of my other rods but I do what I have to do and it makes it a whole lot of fun !
My last big fish ( bft dressed at 150 ) was over 4-yrs. ago and was taken on the seeker. The last 30-yrs. have been hooked-up to a number of fish on all types of tackle ( 30s, 50s, int. etc.) that there wasn 't anything that could be done in a head-boat situation
(on the hook). If it looks like its' going to interfere with other fares I will break it off as I will do if that ever happens with the trevalas. Of course you have to exercise good judgment. Two yrs ago Paulie (mate Frances) hooked a porpoise on my trevala and of course had to break it off. Am by no means an expert and can only manage 1/2 doz. offshore trips a year, if I 'm lucky ! Oh yeah, Paulie loved the rod also. Of course it would be great to boat every pelagic
that you hook-up but from my limited experience not going to happen.
Just my veiws on the subject.

Thanks

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
chumslk,
I like to fish with light tackles whenever possible, but not in crowded situation. The Trevala rods are good on your own boat as it is fun to land a big tuna with light tackle.
I can land a decent tuna in 50 - 80 lbs range within 10 minutes with the Trevala rod, but still I don't want to use my Trevala rod on a tuna party boat. One guy hooked up a tuna with Trevala rod on a party boat last year. I landed two on jigs while he fought the tuna and stll he made bunches of tangles with other fishermen's lines. :(

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
KILSONG wrote:
Which rod do you think more suitable for tuna ?

Kil, I can give you a few differetn answers to your question:
- The one which costs less
- The one which everyone has told me about
- The one I can get from a tackle shop
- I never heard of TunaMax so it must be a scam
- Shimano cares about us, and would never mislead us like that

Take your pick.

·
Registered
687 Posts
KILSONG wrote:
chumslk,
I like to fish with light tackles whenever possible, but not in crowded situation. The Trevala rods are good on your own boat as it is fun to land a big tuna with light tackle.
I can land a decent tuna in 50 - 80 lbs range within 10 minutes with the Trevala rod, but still I don't want to use my Trevala rod on a tuna party boat. One guy hooked up a tuna with Trevala rod on a party boat last year. I landed two on jigs while he fought the tuna and stll he made bunches of tangles with other fishermen's lines. :(

I some what agree but if you use consideration and good judgement shouldn 't be a problem. The trevalas' are not for everyone in a head-boat situation. Another thing I quite don 't understand from previous posts'is if your drag is set at 25#s why is it imperative that the rod doesen 't bend like a pretzel ? I have gotten use to that and now enjoy it ! Will continue to enjoy it until it breaks ?
My interpretation of what Billy said is Different strokes for different folks and I agree if that was his intent ? As for you landing two tuna in the time it takes somebody else to land one you could probably do that with a broomstick ! You also could probably catch fish in a puddle. Little humor. Thanks for the opinions .

·
Registered
1,520 Posts

No, I dont fish party boats

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
chumslk wrote:
KILSONG said:
My interpretation of what Billy said is Different strokes for different folks and I agree if that was his intent ? As for you landing two tuna in the time it takes somebody else to land one you could probably do that with a broomstick ! You also could probably catch fish in a puddle. Little humor. Thanks for the opinions .

So wrong
According to Billy, any rod you buy from a tackle shop sucks and so do you lol.

Kilsong said: "The Trevala rods are good on your own boat as it is fun to land a big tuna with light tackle." There was a nice simple answer that basically sums it up.

Me....How did I get into them? It wasnt advertising, It wasnt cuz someone told me about them, It wasnt cost....And I could really care less about Shimano as a whole. A friend brought one out on a canyon trip one time and I was watching him catch fish and HAVING FUN while using the rod. Thats all the reason I needed to buy one myself. TO HAVE FUN. I dont fish for money, I dont fish for records, I fish cuz I enjoy it. Landing a tuna on a trevala IS FUN and VERY POSSIBLE.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.