NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
726 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is anyone else shocked on how people drive so careless in bad weather. i had the pleasure of driving to work in yesterdays ice snow storm and i can't tell you how many accidents i seen. why can't people just slow down,i just don't get it

·
Registered
24,271 Posts
I noticed the same thing last night. Maybe the lack of snow this winter has made everyone's winter driving skills rusty?

People passing me in the left lane to pull in front of me just to brake for the red light. Conditions were very slick, all theses safety features (AWD, ABS, airbags, stability control, heated windshields, washer headlamps) give amateur drivers a false sense of security.

·
Administrator
112,311 Posts
There are some people who shouldnt drive when its raininf out noles when its snowing
my 25 mile commute turns into a nightmare with people who cant drive

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
at 5 o'clock on the radio yesterday they said there were over 70 accidents on long island. on my way home from st joes college i counted at least 12. the ride normally takes me 20 mins., but it took me a little over an hour to get home b/c roads were so backed up bc of the accidents

·
Registered
4,487 Posts
I agree on the bad driving skills today. I also think today's car technologies give alot of people a false sense of security. Antilock brakes, traction control, etc lead people to think they can defy the laws of physics. I won't even get into the SUV mentality.

Imbedded interactive road sensor monitoring is not far away.

edit:

jpd wrote - all theses safety features (AWD, ABS, airbags, stability control, heated windshields, washer headlamps) give amateur drivers a false sense of security.

oooopppps. yeah....what he said:rolleyes:

This post edited by dawnpatrol136 08:42 AM 02/13/2008

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
OTHS40 wrote:
The HUGE size of all the cars these days add to it bigtime.

You've got to be kidding. Most cars today are midget sized compared to what we drove in the 60s. And those 60s cars were mainly rear wheel drive. Yet we didn't see any more accidents in the snow that we see today, in fact there were probably less.

·
Registered
24,271 Posts
MakoMike wrote:
OTHS40 wrote:
The HUGE size of all the cars these days add to it bigtime.

You've got to be kidding. Most cars today are midget sized compared to what we drove in the 60s. And those 60s cars were mainly rear wheel drive. Yet we didn't see any more accidents in the snow that we see today, in fact there were probably less.

Less cars on the road then, and all the cars were pretty much the same size....and very heavy. Those cars used to give you a better sense of the speed you were doing, 70 mph felt like it. Nowadays, doing 70 is like sitting on your couch in the living room....false sense of security.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
A lot of drivers on L.I. and in the city just don't get enough practice driving in the snow.
The roads in Nassau county were terrible yesterday evening.The Southern Pkway and RT 135 were untouched by a plow or salt truck from 5 pm till 7:30.Took me 3 1/2 hours to get from Sheepshead Bay to Syosset.Approx 40 miles.Guess we just don't pay enough taxes to get the roads plowed.

·
Registered
4,596 Posts
Been driving around everyday all day for 22 years.The biggest thing I notice is how much faster people drive.
There was a time when the speedlimit said 55 and folks would do 60.
Its still 55 and now 70 is the norm.
In fact if you go 70 you'll be passed by 90% of everyone else going faster.

Tailgating

Its epidemic and I'm being honest when I say woman tailgate much more then men.Not sure why but its a fact ( in my opinion).

I'm a mello driver and take my time.I'll get where I'm headed and if I were to drive like a crazed stressed out human I'd be a basket case in a few years.If I'm a bit late so be it.
Driving is the worst part of my job

Used to love it.
Now its scary and dangerous and everytime I leave my house I pray I return home safe without some idiot killing me or causing me to get into an accident.
Cell phones have added to the humans distraction while driving.
Fast cars
fast woman
fast food
faster internet service
The world has gone mad!
Rats in a shoebox...
everyone running around but getting nowhere except closer to their maker.

I've seen businessmen reading their morning paper while driving!
Makeup being applied doing 60 MPH!
Once saw a guy reading a book.He had it on his stearing wheel going down the Northern State!

Headed out right now in fact.Southern State here I come....

This post edited by PaddleOn 09:34 AM 02/13/2008

·
Registered
11 Posts
HaHa yesterday on the way home from work I saw someone driving a nice expensive SUV come out of a parking lot as if there was nobody else around and went across two lanes of traffic, spun out, did a 360, recovered and drove on. But she stoped next to me and the look on her face was priceless. Just cause you have 4 wheel drive doesn't mean the car is going to do the thinking for you. Have some common sense

·
Registered
17,305 Posts
Plugginalong wrote:
HaHa yesterday on the way home from work I saw someone driving a nice expensive SUV come out of a parking lot as if there was nobody else around and went across two lanes of traffic, spun out, did a 360, recovered and drove on. But she stoped next to me and the look on her face was priceless. Just cause you have 4 wheel drive doesn't mean the car is going to do the thinking for you. Have some common sense

Nothing sweeter than watching some ass in a SUV driving way too fast and losing it the minute they need to stop. On the way home last night (4 hours from Port Washington to Miller Place) saw many. It kept me amused all the way home.

·
Registered
17,235 Posts
all this about poor driving skills yet some folks continue to ride motorcycles.

motorcycle itself is cool; unfortunately we all know who 'loses' in a crash with a moronic driver

·
Administrator
112,311 Posts
SORTIE wrote:

motorcycle itself is cool; unfortunately we all know who 'loses' in a crash with a moronic driver

Skip we all know the dangers of motorcycles but this thread is about driving in bad weather

·
Registered
17,235 Posts
canyonfvr wrote:
SORTIE wrote:

Skip we all know the dangers of motorcycles but this thread is about driving in bad weather sorry Glenn, didn't mean to veer OT! I'm simply observing that moronic driver behavior worsens with wet pavement. I assume scooter drivers aren't even on the road when snow is falling, but some ride in the rain.

PaddleOn is right. I've given up assuming that tailgaters and aggressive drivers are all male...young women are right up there.

·
Administrator
112,311 Posts
Skip,

i did see a guy on a bike on the L I E last time it snowed he must of been out of his mind

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.