NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone deploy a dredge of any sorts while trolling the NE Canyons? I came across the Tournament Cable brand of dredges and was very impressed. (www.tournamentcable.com)

I understand you would need a lot of weight in the form of a drail to get them subsurface at typical trolling speeds (i.e. 7 knots).

Anyone do this?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Good topic and something I have been thinking about purchasing. I have never tried any type of dredge yet but have hear the strip type are effective and easy to deal with but a little fragile. There are a few discussions in the archives, I recently searched this topic.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Dredge teasers are very effective for any type of fish you're after. Regardless if you're using one of ours or anothers they do raise fish to your baits, and not just billfish. They are extremely effective for tuna.

The size and type of dredge that will be most productive depends upon the size boat, your spread and most importantly, your crew. These are quite a few things to consider, but you will see a significant increase in the fish you see come up into your spread when pulling a dredge teaser.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Care to share any points on selecting and pulling a dredge??

·
Registered
9 Posts
As far as what kind of dredge and what size, that will depend upon the boat size. We have made some custom, 72 inch 8-arm titanium dredges for a few boats that compete on a regular basis in all different parts of the world. These dredges are being pulled from boats in excess of 60 feet with wide beams. In most cases they are using one on each side at the same time. They work well for them do to the size of the boat but try pulling something of that size on a 30ft CC and you?ll have all kinds of problems.

Now for a boat in the 30ft range, the norm would be a dredge half the size or 36 inch, in either 6 or 8-arm. So the beam has a lot to do with what size you should be looking at. You also have to consider where you?re going to stow this while you?re on a fish after you have cleared the lines and other teasers etc.

The next thing you have to look at is the ability of your crew. Clearing lines is one thing, but you have to know what you?re doing when you?re pulling one or two dredge teasers. If you have a 65footer and a crew that spends all day in the salon and really doesn?t know what to do when it comes crunch time, you might as well pull just a few lines and have a good time and hope for the best.

On the other hand if you have a 30footer and a crackerjack crew that?s in tune with each other, then you should be pulling two dredges.

·
Registered
826 Posts
2 dredges!!

I always pull 2 dredges off the stern at all times! i got them rigged up with 800lb mono and i only troll mullet. I use the splits tails and i get them from a floridan bait company who i am sure most know as one of the best companies in the world!

the only place i get my baits from PERIOD!

there is no substitution for the best.. Also i tend to try and throw a deep hook bait behind them about 10 feet or so! if you troll them properly you can have no problem with them just keep them low and troll them slow! When you troll them i tend to stay under 6 and more like 5 kts.. The slower troll is a little boring but it allows you to troll a lot more naturals in the spread and by naked ballys troll better in the shotgun or out the long rigger without a skirt or with a skirt!

I like the teasers tournamentcable makes but i have honestly never trolled the holograms but i got 2 of them for this season and i am goig to give them a GO! i am sure they will produce they are a beautifully made!

·
Registered
826 Posts
I use a 6 arm 32" dredge with 13 drops... this is two mullet per arm and the center.. i then rig 600lb mono about 24 inches long and attach another 6arm 32". i then rig that with the 13 drops. These are rigged with all split tail mullet with 3oz chin weight and the gills sewn closed.. these are rigged on 6-8" of 100lb mono with looped end.. just a standard loop is fine!

Make sure the first dredge bar is rigged with heavy mono or even cable is better!

Make sure you put either some loop protection on the cleat loop or you put some rubber hose to make sure it doesnt break.. i let it run just under the primary wake and i adjust it so it is in pretty clean water.

DO NOT RUN THERE OFF OF TROLLING RODS!!!

I dont care what size reel you have nothing is going to hold these in the water with this on the other end! They are a serious heavy pull!

Anyone need anything further please just ask and i will help anyone...

I rig my own mullet but sometimes it is alot easier to just buy the mullet if you feel the need!

I also made a ballyhoo one this year with naturals! but it got attacked and i spent more time changing the hoo! hahah

·
Registered
826 Posts
Hope that helps chuck!!

I got to get down to the shop one of these days and do some shopping.. I was out of town when that big clearance went off! you guys doing anything like that in the near future? i got a few extra bucks burning the pockets and need some stuff for the season upcoming!

LET ME KNOW!

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
****, I'm glad I started this thread. Lots of good information.

OK Chuck, I run on a 42' Ocean. We normally troll 13 rods. What TCable dredge would you recommend?

·
Registered
482 Posts
Did anyone watch George Poveromo this morning???

If you can get past the white visor you would have seen him trolling a strip teaser dredge. The interesting thing was he had a deep diving plug rigged in front of it to keep it down. this is the first time I saw this technique but seems like a great idea.

Anyone have experience with this???

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.