NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this as a fishing report but we need some discussion on this matter-I was fishing buoy 11 on Weds.5/8 in Port Jeff and was surrounded by draggers.Three of them were scooping up the whole*&^%$##$%%bottom.A DEC boat stopped to talk with me(and check me out)and I was told they were in their rights to be that close to shore with those **** nets.Even Smithtown bay isn't safe.I had thought that was protected.I know the public wants fish and these guys are making a living but there has to be some protection for inshore areas or we anglers will soon go the way of the dinosaurs

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
Who told you that even Smithtown Bay isn't safe?

It is my understanding that there is an imaginary line that runs from Port Jefferson to Stratford, Ct. Everything West of that line is off limits to commercial draggers.

If you ever cruise the length of the Sound you'll notice that the abundance of the lobster pots near shore are to the West of that imaginary line. A dragger would have a tough time navigating his gear between the lobster boats in Smithtown bay.

Just curious; how do you know that it was dragging the bottom for fluke?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I understand your fustration. I haven't seen the draggers in awhile yet when they run through West Meadow/ Smithtown you don't see very many fish for quite some time. I doesn't really matter what they are dragging for because they take everything.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Draggers are indeed allowed to fish Smithtown Bay. I not sure of the exact line but believe the line is drawn from the NR buoy to a buoy off of Cranes. I vaguely remember there being an effort to push them out of Smithtown Bay but sadly that never transpired.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe the Dec guy told me they were allowed up to the mile can in Smithtown bay-Thats some sh##-By the way-I can't say exactly what they were netting-but the truth is whats the difference after they do their thing

·
Registered
38 Posts
DEC response to trawlers

This is the response from the DEC about Trawling or Dragging in the Long Island Sound, They were very helpful.
"Long Island Sound has extensive trawl net closures which can be found in Environmental Conservation Law Section article 13, Section 13-0341, which should be available to you at your local library. In short, west of Hewlet Point (King's Point) , all trawling is prohibited; west of Eaton's Neck, all trawling is prohibited April 1 thru November 1; inshore (south) of a line that runs from Hewlett Point, to Sands Point, to Matine**** Point, to Oak Neck Point, to Rocky Point on Center Island, to Lloyd Point, to Eaton's Neck buoy 13 , to buoy 1 off of the Northport Power Plant, to buoy NR off of Nissequogue River, to buoy 1 off Stony Brook Harbor to Crane Neck Point all trawling is prohibited. From Crane Neck Point to the Riverhead Town line at Wading River, trawling is prohibited within one-half mile of shore.
Should you observe any violations of this closure line, please contact your local Environmental Conservation Officer; you can obtain the name and phone number of your local officer by contacting our regional law enforcement unit at 631-444-0250. I hope this answers your questions. Alice Weber Marine Finfish Unit Leader NYSDEC"

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
There might actually be a balance of power

Okay, considering those regulations/official lines, here is my theory;

If you travel the bay from Eatons Neck to Cranes Neck, you will notice that the abundance of lobster pots are North of that line, in the waters where it is legal for the draggers to fish. However, you've gotta believe that the draggers (from Mattituck inlet??) are wise enough not to drag their equipment right through all of those pots. The heat they would receive from the lobstermen who work the bay wouldn't be worth it (especially if the dispute involves shotguns). As the first week in July approaches (the peak of the summer run of lobster) the number of pots in the bay in that area increases each day. There reaches a point where it's almost impossible to pull a drift without having to start the engine and move the boat to avoid snagging a lobster pot. There is no way a dragger could work the bay North of that line.

·
Registered
38 Posts
SO what are you saying DR Fish Should we let these Trawlers into Smithtown Bay because it is hard to operate outside of the closed areas. The only reason I posted my response was to inform recreational fishermen like myself of places they can go when the trawlers scoop up everything in other sites. I hope Clamman reads this as well also clamman shouldnt hold it against us recreational fishermen that like to leave our "cushy jobs" and go out and catch fish for fun. That was a great topis that clamman posted and it sparked a well adversed debate. i am glad to see every one is being civil and it is enjoyable. Just dont try to sell anything like that cell phone guy did. he was crusified.

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
No what I was saying is that even if they wanted to enter Smithtown bay, they would not be able to drag through their legal zone without taking thousands of dollars worth of lobster pots/gear with them. Basically, Smithtown bay is protected.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I fish Pt Jeff and Mt Siani for Fluke, after the draggers come through theres no doubt the fluking is off but as a recreational fisherman I drop my line and drift away I catch a few keepers enjoy the time I have on the water and get on with my life. These commercials are paying their bills, as mush as I wish they would drag somewhere else those are the breaks. Take some time and search for different areas to Fluke, theres alot of water out there!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.