lines on 80# dacron for sharking.someone
said that the spider hitch weakens the
line.i never had a problem with it , i
also never caught anything biger than 300# any info would help thanks

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Double lines

I shyed away from the double line leaders I used to use.I use 80 lb big game and been on several Montauk charter boats that use a double uni knot attached to the swivel,no double line.I like it because the big knot from a spyder knot or the bimini twist doesn't get hung up in your rollers.I haven't had a problem yet.
paulie

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
KNOTS

I've always used the Spider Hitch with no problem! I can't tie a good Bimini! This year I may try tying a heavier leader to the standing line using a double UNINOT, but I'm not sure yet weather it will pass through the guides OK.
P>S> Are you related to Angelo? If so I use to work with him-say hello for me-Bob Romei

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
knots

thanks for the suggestions.makomike
i heard of that procedure i have a hard time splicing rope none the less that small dacron can you tell me how it is done.thank you.
im going to use 15 to20" leader.

p.s.hipshot angelo is my father ill tell him you said hello. heis a so called golfer its hard to get him off land. thanks for the info

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Leto,
Its really pretty easy, you migh screw up the first one or two, so practice with a piece of line that you can throw away. You need a specially designed needle. They ued to come with the spools of dacron, but you can buy them seperately. The needle has a hinged eye. You slip it through the hollow dacron as far as you want and then poke it through the side of the dacron. Then put the line into the eye and close the hinge and pull the line back though itself. Its easier to show you than describe it. If you go and buy a needle they come in an envelope that has instructions and diagrams on it.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
KNOTS

LETOII,
Give me a shout when you're offshore! I keep my boat in Southold but run outa Shinne**** for shark and tune(when close enough). Give me a shout "NO SEE WEED' or "HIPSHOT. Hopefully in a month or less!
Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.