NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have advice on double anchoring? When I flounder fish I double anchor by first letting out the anchor by the bow and then after it sets I go by the stern and throw out a second anchor at about 90 deg from the hull. The second anchor always pulls loose.

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
double hooks

what I do is set the bow first,after its set let out more anchor line maybe 75 ft.Then I drop the 2nd anchor off the stern.Then shorten up on the bow anchor,at the same time letting out line from the stern.Tie off the stern and pull in alittle more from the bow until its taught.That should be fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I find that two anchors from the bow works best. Watch the party boats. They set one anchor and drift back just enough to get it set. Then they move over a distance (distance depends on the current and depth) and drop the second hook. If done properly you can adjust the two anchor lines to the right length to have tension on both anchors. Also as if there is a slight wind shift you can compensate by adjusting the lines.

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
double up

I agree, I like the way party boats set up but where I fish for flounder guys would want to cut your lines because of the large area you are taking up with this process.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Be careful with that Stern Anchor,Be careful with that Stern Anchor

Excellent point regarding the use of a stern anchor. Several years ago, a 25' Steiger Craft out at Montauk was anchored off the stern while fishing - a wave washed over the stern and swamped the ****pit. The bilge pumps were not able to keep pace and the waves kept washing in. The boat had a Pilot house and once the boat completely flooded, it rolled over. Not a banner day for that captain.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Guys; for the replys.
B.attitude I tried your method this weekend and it worked real good!
Capt Max your method sounds good also but I think it would be a little hard whith just one person on the boat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.