NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crazy Al,
I fish for fluke at manhattan beach from the rocks in the summer. Im wondering is there any way to target the larger flukes. I know manhattan beach holds some very nice fish because i got a 7.5 pounder last year.
THANKS

This message was edited by great1 on 1-21-02 @ 5:21 PM

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Great1 - Orient is a good idea, but as you know there are quite a few larger than Orient fish caught in Jamaica Bay each year. I never target Fluke out of Sheepshead Bay, but I would guess larger bait would attract larger fish.

G

·
See if you can go back in time and check Montauk reports from opening day 2001. A fluke frenzy for the first couple days. North Fork is big game hunting. Usually a good pick on mixed sizes with some doormats mixed in. Fishing starts close to Greenport (2 min ride) and moves closer to Orient about 1.5 months later. Pick your boat based on the length of the ride to the grounds. Generally every trip has the pool fish in the 5-10# range.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Great1 wrote:
...I fish for fluke at Manhattan beach from the rocks in the summer. Im wondering is there any way to target the larger flukes. I know Manhattan Beach holds some very nice fish because i got a 7.5 pounder last year.

First of all... Congratulations on your fine catch! Now... Yes, there are a few quality doormats that prowls the Manhattan Beach areas... and they are culled do to the following factors!

As written on other websites and publications, I've mentioned several tactics for those true doormats...

1) Right Season
2) Big Bait (big presentation)
2) Location and Structure

Manhattan Beach is no different... Just fish the early season and find deep pockets coinciding with rocks around it and your luck will increase!

Other areas such as Montauk, Orient Pt, Mattituck and Manhasset front are also areas that holds true doormats.

If you are planning to target your dream monster... here are some general targeting dates and locations.

Orient Pt. and around Greenlawn grounds is no secret during the early season (Late month of May - first of June)

Mattituck is also good during May - June

Montauk is also a well-publicized place and those doormats are located at the "South Side" deep areas during the June - Sept. months.

In recent years... The Ocean side of Shinne****, Moriches, Great South Bay and Jones has been hosting many quality floormats as well. Simply work the deeper water columns and your luck will increase dramatically.

The recent big fluke secret was revealed on this week's ESPN (Saltwater Sportsman / George Poveromo's show) where my friend Rich from R&G displayed an impressive 8 lbs. on light tackle right out of the Manhasset sound! This fishery is a short season and it happens during the July fool moon phase.

I hope this gives you a general idea where you can find your dream doormat. Good Luck!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Although I was told by you to watch the show, I missed it. My Dad was impressed though, but he didn't pay enough attention to see what they were using. So, what's this big secret that I missed out on?

I can taste the Wings & Fries already!!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have usually had good luck targeting larger fluke on a slower drift beginning or end of a tide the big ones though still as agressive probably dont want to work to hard for a meal.and live snappers are the best,(small ones)good luck,njoy2day.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Johnny B wrote:
I do most of my fluke fishing on the South Shore but go for some big bait when targeting the doormats. Try live snappers or some whole squid.

Johnny B... I agree! Big bait and live snappers are excellent doormat bait! Also? How deep do you generally like to target them ?

sandman wrote:
The secret was to reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeel
slooooooooow !!!!

Sandman... That's also good advice... but how often do you lift your bait up and down (jigging like) to tease that trophy doormat?

dannyboy wrote:
I have usually had good luck targeting larger fluke on a slower drift beginning or end of a tide...

Dannyboy... That is correct! I generally like to bucktail for big doormats during the "slack" water phases! It?s fun and the take is very exciting! ;)

Also - Just wondering... how many of you out there like to bucktail for big fluke?

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Hi,

I think big fluke are caught around a slack current because the bait fish come out and play and swim more freely. They are not being washed away or forced to swim quickly.

Yes, fluke are very agressive , but I think they are lazy opportunists. Its like why chase bait all over when I can lay and wait for it to come to me. I'll get bigger buy not using up all energy.

My experience has been that most of the BIG fluke I have seen caught were caught around structure. That is, rocky areas. The same with BIG flounders. They just hand out knowing that the food chain will come to them.

I have to say my experience is around Mattituck. I have netted and filleted a few real "doormats" but unfortunately I have yet to catch one.

Years ago while drifting under the Fire Island Inlet bridge, I thought I hooked my dream doormat.
By myself in my 16' Duranautic just as I went past the bridge supports on the outgoing tide my rod bent over. And it wouldn't give up!! After much to do I finally got my catch to the boat. It was heavy, a true doormat!!!

The only problem was that is was the hemp style "doormat" you buy at Home Depot!!!! Oh well!!

I have fish 17 fathoms once for blacks. I am told that place is loaded with rocky areas. If that is true I would think that would be a great please for BIG fluke to hang out.

Just a thought. Have you ever tried diamond jigs for fluke??? Cast out a A17 and work it back to the boat or shore. Can be deadly.
I have seen very nice fluke come up on 4 oz jigs while drifting for blues in deep water off Port Jeff.

This I can almost guarantee! The fishermen who regularily catch BIG fluke, you do not hear about them or their catch. Yeah, your right , if I ever catch one the whole world will hear about it.

A fine gentleman and very good fisherman I know says, "fluke fishermen are stupid". I think it takes a special kind of fisherman to be a very good fluker.

With a ramble like this "cabin fever" has settled in.

Capt Neil

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Look in the "boating angler" forum under "whole squid for bass" on 12-6-01. I posted a method for fishing whole squid that I read an article on. It is used around Shelter Island in the Spring to target large fluke. I have tried it in the ocean out of FI when the squid are in but no true DOORMATS yet.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Even though I generally fish Raritan Bay in NJ, I too love to use bucktails for fluke. Seems the bigger boys love to hit that and on light tackle it is much much much fun. I think bigger baits do mean bigger fluke and my favorite is fishing a live snapper blue.
Inshore I've had alot of fun and success using a 3/8 oz jighead with a plastic tail. I've nailed fluke up to 5lbs on that fishing minutes away from my house off of a local dock.
One question though, what do you guys actually consider a "doormat"? I was brought up to believe that a true doormat is a fluke 10lbs or more. Granted a fluke over 7lbs is definetely a NICE fish!!!
Hey Alberto, nice bass article in *************(NJ edition) Love the lil comment about sleep: "As sleeping is not high on the priority list" That sums up your fishing philosophy pretty well bud ;) Great read!!!

Remember, ya gotta hook 'em to cook 'em.

got tog?

Bergalls have feelings too...

This message was edited by gottog on 1-24-02 @ 12:28 PM

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.