NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I just got back from a 3 days doormat fishing trip with Rhode Islander, Capt. Gary Corsetti (ShowTime charter) and we fished the pristine Martha Vineyard's waters.

During our three-day stay, the weather was uncooperative (winds up to 35 knots from every direction possible, full moon tides, and the morning temp. in the low 40's) but every day we managed to cull several impressive doormats and a few stripers that got in our way. We fished during the holiday (Memorial day), but much to my surprise, there were very few boats working and we practically had the entire ocean to ourselves. :)

All in all, we practically had fish on every drift and majorities of our fluke were all in the impressive 6lbs. - 8lbs. range! The beauty of it all… We also managed a few in the double digits (up to 11.2 lbs.) and we were back on the dock by 2PM.

I will post several shots of our catch and hope you enjoy it. If you have any questions, feel free to ask and I will try to answer them accordingly.

"Crazy" Alberto Knie
[email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BrianZ wrote:
Tell Danno not to pull the fish down to "make it grow" lol nice fish as usual Al

Reelcranky wrote:
bigboys
Hey al did you use whole squid?

I tried just about every fluke method you could think of and caught… But I found that jigging (2-½ ounce Corsetti's buckies) did most of the damages!

Just wondering: What would have been your GO-TO rig for those doormats?

MakoMike wrote:
You were in RI and didn't even stop by for a drink? Shame on you .

Hey MakoMike,
Oooops… My bad! You got me there pal. :)
But the truth of the matter is… I really had a tight schedule and thought about calling ya. Next time (soon) I will definitely let ya know!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hello PorgyMan,

When the conditions are right... I also enjoy bucktailing for fluke. A Corsetti bucky is a funny shaped (but deadly) bucktail designed by Gary Corsetti himself.

Below see picture... (pix. courtesy of Laptew's Production). Here I am unhooking another trophy with a pink/white corsetti bucktail tipped it with a strip of squid. :)

Hope this helps.

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

Attachments

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey Al,
How deep were these fish?...When was the best fishing beginning/end of Ebb or Flood? you said that the run is for about a month...is this the same on LI/port jeff-mattituck? Where are fish heading? out to sea to spawn?????

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
MikeyT wrote:
How deep were these fish?...When was the best fishing beginning/end of Ebb or Flood? you said that the run is for about a month...is this the same on LI/port jeff-mattituck? Where are fish heading? out to sea to spawn?????

Wow.. Those are loaded questions. :)

How Deep...
OK.. We culled most of the larger fish from a 50-70ft. Ledge!

When was the best...The magical bite was during the first two and last two hours of the "Slack" tide!

you said that the run is for about a month...is this the same on LI/port jeff-mattituck?
I was reffering to the RI/MV body of fish which migrates directly from the Ocean front.
I don't believe is the same body (North shore) of fish!

Where are the fish heading? out to sea to spawn?
If you are talking about the LI (North shore) body of fish... those fish are heading West toward the Whitestone Bridge! Also... during the fall... a big body of fish migrates to the Southside of Montauk until Sept. in depths of 40 - 80 ft! ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.