NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to keep the discussions and topics lively. A number of fishing articles that have been published lately advocate the scaling back on the size of artificials, especially when the bite has cooled off. Personally, I prefer artificials that are no more than 6" (granted I may use a daisy chain that has three or more of this size). Thoughts? Comments?

·
Registered
6,483 Posts
Mahi,
thats what my whole arsenal consisted of.All 5-7" lures.My chains,spreader bars all small artificials. EXAMPLE... Tuna clones,small jetheads,cedar plugs,zuker feathers,ballyhood and small squids.Biggest lures were green machines and they took the least fish inshore.
paulie

"Fishing with an Attitude"

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input Paulie. I had one particular daisy chain of 4 5" Pakula Krayons in pink and blue that seemed to stand out last year. Along with the bird/jet head combo from the shotgun, we also ran cedar plugs, tune clones, venturi jets, zuckers, hex heads, bullets, small green machines, etc. Of course, we hooked alot of bonito and skippies by keeping the lures small.

·
Registered
23 Posts
For the past two seasons, the largest artificial we have trolled were 7 inch daisy squids off the transom. All of our knockdowns were off Islander/ballyhoo combos. Ballyhoo were Medium sized. no more than 7/8 inches...Not one knockdown on an artificial only though...hmmm i guess when there is a choice dead bait is better than no bait...

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
I remember one day in particular when we were bailing small bluefins, the only thing they would hit were small jap feathers 1/4 oz. about 3 inches long in black and white rigged with a lightweight 4/0 hook. One lure in particular was catching most of the fish, I was fishing it about 4 ft from the starboard corner of the transom off a clip rigged out of the ****pit scupper. after a dozen or so fish the only thing left was the head, one skragely chicken feather and about 2 inches of thread. this lure still out fished the rest of the spread combined. I feel the fish were responding to the bubble trail left by the lure rather then the lure itself.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
Only got out once for tuna last year (actually a combo Shark/troll anything trip) Hit 2 bluefin 15-20 lbs, on a red/white jap feather 4 1/2-5"long in the 2nd. starboard wake. Just couldn't hit the weather right to get offshore much! Hope this year is a lot better, at least weather wise. If I can get out there I know I can catch some fish! And if I don't at least I tried!

·
Registered
525 Posts
Small lures

Hi:
6-8 inch lures mimick most baitfish that YFT and BFT eat. Yes, Giants eat big stuff too. How many of us get that chance to invest in huge lures? I've fished 'em in lots of places and wacked some large chargers, but on the whole it's been trolling....trolling...trolling with little action in between strikes.
In the Med or the far east or pacific, most sports boats will hang a bunch of 12+ inchers in hopes of Mr. Blue or Black Marlin. Yes, you'll get some HUGE YFT off Baha or Hawaii or Figii or even the Noreast Canyons. I'm on the wrong side of 60 now and I'm past trying to wack a Blue/Black Marlin of Giant BFT. I'll just go along for the rids and video it all. I'll leave the catching chore to you YOUNG'UNS.
Keep your feet dry and catch 'em up.
www.ancientmarinertackle.com
Joseph B. ...aka...Ancient Mariner

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Mahi,
I keep my lures in the 6-8 inch range when I fishing for yellowfin/bigeye/albies. The only exception is a yellow green machine which is almost always in the pattern. For bluefin I definately go smaller, dropping down to 3-4 stuff.

·
Registered
40 Posts
SIze

I've had consistent luck with smaller stuff as well last season. I run a mix
of Black Bart's Tuna Candy's, Elk Hunt's, Hex Jets, El-Squids, cedar plug's and various smaller jet heads,
Nothing over 8", put once at the edge;
I replace the LC/SC/SR with some 10 to 12" Bart stuff to play the marlin game.
Some skirted Hoo's are also part of the mix once at the edge! I run 7 to 9 lures
depending on the sea conditions with a couple of teasers off the corners.

FYI : all the YFT last season had small stuff in there tummies during dressing..

Sashimi!

I plan on heading out in two weeks once the temps are right at Atlantis.

Goodluck out deep, you guy's save a few for me up here off Cape Cod..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.