NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going out on a limb here..:)

Aside from fishing and BSing in the lounge, what are your other interests??? I see a lot of talant through out the boards. What do you like to do with your free time. What's your hobby. Why not post em here.:)

Me........I enjoy creating pieces out of wood. I'm like to make furniture, cabinets and little stupid knick knacks. Here's a few pieces I've done recently.

1. cherry langerie chest
2. basic vanity
3. maple toy storage armoire for my daughter
4. mahogany rod rack.

Come on show off your creative talants........:)

Attachments

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I appreciate fine craftsmanship, and that my friend there is some FINE carpentry. I like the vanity, really well done. Are those pieces you though up yourself or from plans you can get in Tautons, etc. ? Again beautiful work.
;)

As for me, I do have a few hobbies. I love working on old boats, I also dabble in home improvement projects, nothing of your calibre but I do quite a bit of stuff....I particularly like masonry work.

Here's a photo of a walkway I did with pavers, and built a retainer wall. Once you get the dry pack leveled out and pattern set its pretty easy....nonetheless I had guidance from some very seasoned and professional masons. They said I did a good job!

The driveway I had help from my mason friend. He leveled out the drypack nice and even for me so I could lay the brick.

I love building stuff, makes me wish I did a different career path.

Just washed in these pictures, thats what the water spots are on the deck. Deck done in Awlgrip Moondust.

This post edited by GradySailfish 12:07 AM 01/17/2008

Attachments

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Hi,

Nice work by the way in the pics above.

I collect and enjoy reading the naval novels about the English Navy and their battles with the French Navy at the end on the 1700's and early 1800's. Seem to be running out of them but new ones are being written.

I have moved onto the American Navy from it's beginning to today. Once again these are novels, light reading that gives me pleasure.

I have learned that I prefer being a "squid" in the late 1950's rather than being in the 1790's. Man it was brutal in the sailing ships. I'm talking about during peace time. In war time it is ALWAYS BRUTAL.

Neil

·
Registered
35,001 Posts
Well............I aint no Latty Tude, but I also enjoy butchering wood.
I'm not as refined because I don't have all the tools I'd like, nor the room for them.
And my creations are made from mostly pine or poplar scraps I find and cheap plywood.............

And, they're mostly little shelves for nik naks, toy box, bar for my sons basement, my sons basement, my geeerage, my shed, a couple copper eagles, and computers.
Soon, I will try my hand at making lures and plugs............

I don't have pics of the toy box and small stuff on my puter yet, but I'll take some poics 2morrow.

Here are a few things I have done though.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
nice shop Latty, and beautiful work...

Like Latty, I have a thing for wood, but his shop looks bigger than mine :):) I'm also a musician, and artist. I do marquetry (wood inlay) also, but can't seem to find any pictures at the moment.

Pic#1 - 11 drawer chest I made for my cloths horse wife. It's actually made of poplar and finished to look like cherry.

Pic's 2&3 - or how I spent my summer. I had an old deck that I ripped up and rebuilt with a few florishes that weren't there before. Also completely rebuilt the back door millwork that was rotted out because I wanted to keep the custom glass.

Pic#4 - My home entertainment center.

Pic#5 - A fish tank stand and cover (w/ big ugly fish)in the same room.

Attachments

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
a few more things....

Pic#1 - Oak library table made of oak and wenge (pronounced win-gay) and octagonal smoked glass top.

Pic#2 - Deco tile coffee table made with wavy (tiger) maple.

Pic#3 - My midi studio where I make and record my music.

Pic#4 - Some of my guitars, the one on the floor is one that I built from scratch (wasn't quite finished ;)) but is now, and plays well.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Hi Gary,

Hang in there babe! You have lots of company. For many years I was an amateur wood chuck. Made what I thought was a couple nice pieces of furniture but Latty and Rich are real woodsmiths.

Ha, tried to design/construct a lingere chest many years ago. Never finished it. If you could have seen it you would understand why. I over built it. It should have been a lead sinker chest as it would have held all that weight.

Tools that exist today at Sears etc. did not exist in this country 40 years ago. I had to order my special drill bits from Germany. I was making wooden shoes for a doll maker in those days.

A friend of mine owns a very fine wood working shop. He is very talented. You should see the computer tools that he has.

Gary, the bottom line is that if the bride is happy with the product then you have a winner.

I love the feel of wood like to run my hand over the wood during construction and also the finished product.

You woodsmiths are very talented. Thanks for sharing the pics with us.

Neil

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
Some great photos of quality craftsmanship posted here,

So many hobbies, so little time:rolleyes:. Not all cost a lot of money either;).

For now I will stick to two hobbies. (My home and my dog)

I like to do most of the projects in and around my home myself. Not much beats the feeling of pride after a job well done.

The first two photos are my inspectors checking on my workmanship after a walkway project I did several years ago.

The next couple are of the materials for the apron and edging, with the supervisor lending a hand opening up some concrete.:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Nice work guys, I knew there was talant out there....
I used to have a reef tank with coral, I did the train thing, but for some reason while all the other hobbies fell to the side, I always stuck with woodworking.

Some day, one day, I want to build a sloop. I don't have the space for it, and not enough clamps. Someday though..;)

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
Ok, another hobby I have is baseball related. It did cause me to do a lot of work last winter on the second floor of my home (new flooring, molding, painting ect in three rooms and the hallway) but it got me what I wanted, my baseball room.

I collect autographs and memorabilia, mostly autographs from Mets or members of The Baseball Hall of Fame, and any other player I like.

I did all the framing work myself, and toyed with the idea of making a display cabinet, but after pricing out the materials it would cost me about the same so I bought one. :rolleyes:

I collect autographs in the most Piker way possible. I sent items through the mail to guys I know will sign for free or for a minimal cost. (My bride calls it stalking
) I have had a very good success rate. I guess it helps that I am a member of another web site (a moderator actually
) that deals specifically with sports related autograph collecting.

Asides from TTM I get a lot of my autographs for free in Cooperstown on Induction Weekend. The members of the Hall of Fame play golf that weekend and I know a few spots to hang out and score well. I have been making that trip for almost 20 years now. I go could go into detail about it, but I would then have to kill you.

My mother in law has a summer ?camp? about 15 miles north of Cooperstown so having a place to stay has never been an issue for me. It is a little place right on a beautiful lake so after doing my thing in Cooperstown I get to come back and do some fishing and generally kick back and relax
. Baseball shrine, get up close and personal with some old time ball players, great views of the lake, ahh,, the place is heaven on earth to me.

The first photo is of a couple of photos I took on the golf course and had them enlarged and brought them back up the following year and got them signed where I took them. George Brett (In a Boston cap taken in 2004
) and Carlton Fisk and Rollie Fingers.

The second one is the display case, bad photo but I did make all the ball risers myself; I even made the black baseball. ;)

The last three are from last year?s Induction Weekend. Cal Ripken signing on the golf course, Tony Gwynn at a paid signing (I do pay for some;)) and lastly looking back from the induction ceremony. The largest crowd ever (about 80,000) and thanks to my local knowledge we got a great spot (close as possible to the stage for free:tu:) and had no issues getting in or out of Cooperstown that day. I know all the back roads and avoided a lot of headaches. (parking miles away, getting bussed in) We parked within view of the induction grounds.

Talent works in many ways.;)

Attachments

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.