NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellow Fishermen:

I have been fishing the beaches and jetties for quite a while. But I'm looking for your input regarding the use of your favorite artificals.

I've mostly used Bombers (School Bus and Black), Mega Baits, various poppers, and some bucktailed jigs.

What do you use? Are there any special techniques that you would like to share with the rest of us? It never hurts to learn about different lures and techniques.

Let's get the discussion going!

Soundfisher

·
Registered
831 Posts
I've used everything you mentioned, and then some. Since I'm basically a night-time fisherman, poppers don't get that much use.

Jigs with plastics and bucktails---always a first choice anywhere there's current. All inlets on the south shore. If plugs are what they want----darters. Usually start with yellow/white or all white. The smaller swimmers, like Bombers and Mega Baits, I'll go them in the dying or early stages of the currents in the same waters. Metal lipped swimming plugs will also get some use in the same places under the same conditions as the small stuff, if the fish are on stouter baits. One more thing---unweighted Sluggos, rigged on a big hook. If you can't get your hands on live eels, they are worth a shot.

I don't do a lot of open beach fishing until the fall. The bigger Bombers and Megas work there too, when the surf is fairly flat. In rougher surf, everyone throws bottle plugs. Bucktails or jig/plastics work, too. Sluggos on a jighead---dynamite.

One style of plug that doesn't seem to get a lot of use on LI but which I find very effective is the needlefish. Good choice for rough conditions, and don't fall into the trap of thinking there have to be sand eels around for them to work ;)

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Huskers23 (Soundfisher) wrote:
I have been fishing the beaches and jetties for quite a while. But I'm looking for your input regarding the use of your favorite artificals...

What do you use? Are there any special techniques that you would like to share with the rest of us? It never hurts to learn about different lures and techniques.

Let's get the discussion going!

Soundfisher,
Good topic! I am also an avid surfrat that loves to prowl the open beaches, coves, Bridges, Inlets, jetty hopping and extreme fish too.

Assuming we are targeting stripers... For starters, depending on the time, tide, bait, place and season... I use an assortment of lures.

For example, if I fish a jetty where there is a cut or rip (moving water)... You can't beat a working bucktail tipped with pork rind or plastic near the bottom. In the same token, a darter can be absolutely irresistible for a big and hungry cow near the surface!

Same scenario during daylight hours with plenty of bait around and a moderate wind... I would immediately use a Little Neck Popper (surface) or a Habs plugs. If I were to fish a mid-column, a tin (crocodile, Kastmaster, Hopkins or Charlie Graves tin) does wonder! During calm situations... You can't go wrong with a slow swimming swimmer (match the hatch)!

If I fish at night near bridges, walls with lots of artificial lights.... A big plastic or dark colored bucktail usually does the trick at the mid to bottom column. Also... if there is a moderate current running, a darter or a swimmer can be irresistible!

Now come the open beaches... This is the time where I have to do a little homework and study the beaches. I generally look for deep cuts, rips, pockets and bait! At night...(think silhouette) A big and dark Danny plug worked slowly can be absolutely explosive when worked on the surface level! I also use black bucktails tipped with a red pork rind! During the daytime? I generally look for bird activity or bait movement? Here I use poppers, white or chartreuse bucktail (tipped with pork rind) and tins!

If I am to ambush skinny waters such as marshes and back bays... I generally fish it late at night or during first light! A small surface swimmer like a Mega bait or Yozuri Minnow worked very slowly on the surface can't be beat! I also use poppers or spooks to entice a ferocious bite!

Now that I've revealed a few of my tricks... How about sharing some of your techniques! Also? How important is the moon & tide phase to you? ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Mike P wrote:
I've used everything you mentioned, and then some. Since I'm basically a night-time fisherman, poppers don't get that much use.....

One style of plug that doesn't seem to get a lot of use on LI but which I find very effective is the needlefish. Good choice for rough conditions, and don't fall into the trap of thinking there have to be sand eels around for them to work.

Hey Buddy... You are a REAL SHARPIE and I appreciate your contribution!
I am looking forward to fishing with ya this year... same spots and times! ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Crazy Al:

Thanks so much for the contribution. I think everybody on this board appreciates your input.

I have to be honest, I am a tranplant from R.I., and most of my fishing was done in the river and bay inlets. I fished primarily for harbor blues, doormats, and blackfish. Though I have been fishing the beaches and jettis for several years, I am no expert. Most of the fishing I did was with bait (i.e. Mackerel, crabs, sandworms, and surfer clams).

When I moved to Connecticut last year, I caught my first Striper with size (28 LBS)off a bunker chunk and was completely hooked.

I started experimenting with lures this past summer. I had some nice success with mega baits in calm conditions and swimmer plugs and Bombers in calm to moderate seas. I also enjoyed using needlefish and bucktails in rougher water.

The moon phases were never a factor besides the fact new and full moons produced slower action.

I appreciate everybody's input regarding this topic. I'm taking notes!

Soundfisher

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.