NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Witnessed something down in the back of the river this weekend that I believe should not be taking place.

Saturday Night - some idiot in what was either a dune buggy or some sort of ATV tearing up & down the lenght of the beach - through the reeds & marsh & driving it into the river - about 30 to 40 feet into the river.

Sunday Afternoon - Jet Skis. now they were only removing them from the river - didn't see where or how they were running them.

This is a very sensitive ecosystem. My feeling is that neither one of the these conveyances should be in or near the river. Especially in the back of the river. Or am I just over reacting? Figured I'd post this here to see what others thought before notifying the town & asking for help.

Thoughts.........

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I beleive the river lies under the jurisdiction of Smithtown. I know there is a Waterways/Wetlands Protection Act in place which severly restricts any development on or near the river for something like a 1/2 mile from the shoreline. I know - because I'm about 6 blocks from there & have a lot behind me that I bought & wanted to level off & it fell under this restriction.

Believe or at least feel that jet skis should not be back there. Up by the mouth - ok - in the back of the river - no.

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Call the cops on the ATV's. It is not legal to drive them any of the public lands of LI. The cops love to catch those guys and impound their vehicles. Personally, I think those guys should have a "park" developed for them, say in an old sand mine. So that they would have someplace to go legally and enjoy themselves and keep them from doing things illegally. We used to take our trucks to an old unfinished development at the East end of Woodside Ave. in Yapank but the cops would raid the guys on ATV's every so often. Anyway, sorry for the getting of track.

Is there a "No Wake Zone" in the Nissequoge River? If so, and they were operating the jet skis in the river, then again, call the cops or at least the town. They have to follow the laws just like everyone else.

If they are using them outside where it is legal, then you should just leave them alone. They are entitled to use their crafts, just like any other pleasure boater.

While I am strictly a fisherman when I am out on the boat, and I DO NOT have a jet ski or wave runner, I feel these guys deserve their rights too. I have been boating around Long Island for 20 years and have never had a problem with anyone on a PWC. I have had incidents with other fisherman and pleasure boaters.

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you knew the river - in particular that section of the river - you'd understand how sensitive it is.

I've spoken to the Department of Enviorment & Waterways. There is a 5 mile an hour limit that ends just about where I saw them. They are not permitted any further up the river. Harbor Patrol has been notified & patrols will increase.

As for the ATV - not legal period as you say. They can only get this guy if they happen to be there when it happens. Right now there are all sorts of waterfoawl nesting along the lenght of the river - hopefully he will not be back.

·
Premium Member
12,316 Posts
Hi wader,

You are right about them only being able to get the ATV guy if they are there. I suggest you call the cops and/or town anyway whenever you see him, because someone might be in the area or if there is a big enough problem, they could set up an operation to nab a bunch of them. You are right on being concerned for wildlife right along the shoreline, especially at this time of year.

You are also correct about me not knowing the river up there that well. I have only canoed it a few times. But, if the laws allow boats to travel fast in the area, PWC's should be allowed too. If the law says it is a no wake or 5 mph zone then they all have to go slow. There shouldn't be any discrimination there. Some government agency has deemed that the area can/cannot handle the traffic and have designed the laws around that. If it is wrong, one cannot blame the PWC guys for it.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Two years ago I was fishing the back of the river with my son on a beautiful afternoon when we were suddenly surrounded by 4-jet skiers that were ripping up everything back there. I contacted the CG but by the time they got there theses guys had already put them up on trailers and left the area.

They ruined the bite and an otherwise perfect day.

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
Just discovered this topic

Hi Wader.

I just discovered this topic. As I mentioned in my email, the jet skiers often rip through the river exactly the way George described. Sometimes Suffolk Police or Smithtown Bay constable catch them, sometimes they don't.

I've chased the atv's a few times. There is one set that seem to be a group of spoiled brats who live in Smithtown landing. They ride at night through the golf course, along the greenbelt trail in the County park and then out onto that beach where you saw them. Since you normally fish there on Friday nights, you haven't witnessed them before because normally they are smart enough not to ride on a weekend when police patrol is more frequent and more people are awake to complain.

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
With any luck - the ATV rider will drive out into the river just a little too far next time & the current will grab him & send him out of the mouth toward Bridgeport.

Did speak with the Marine Harbor patrol regarding the jet skiers so they are aware & intend to increase patrols back there once all of their boats are in the water.

Town Safety & County police notified of the ATV user.

·
Registered
404 Posts
wader

way to go!

just as libba are the "keepers of the beach", you are one of the "keepers of the river".

btw - dec officer for smithtown is kurt swan. his home phone is (631) 716-1174. you should inform him of the situation, and call him immediately when you see such offenses. he will respond and has full power to enforce all applicable laws.

·
Registered
404 Posts
dec officers home #'s

doctorfish,

the "home # " is a dec sponsored and funded phone line so that the good guys (like you and wader) can call a dec officer to police the bad guys after-hours. you are supplemental eyes and ears of the law.

next time you see a serious violation, give kurt a call.

he would probably be grateful for a little overtime.

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
The ATV's are one of the most destructive things to hit the environment. Jet skiis are annoying, but usually do little permanant damage, ATV's do permanent damage, in almost all cases. In the Rocky Point, Shoreham area they have destroyed the bluffs and police and DEC do nothing. Laws are great but if they are not enforced than they are meaningless.

D.E.C. told me that ATV's are destroying every train in the Pine Barrons including the new Paumonok Trail but that they do not have the manpower to stop them. Perhaps a law requiring insurance and registration as manditory at time of sale would make riders more responsible. Vehicles are already titled vehicles in NYS, it would be a simple step to require registration at time of sale and insurance agaist environmental damage could be a requirement of registration.

·
Registered
35,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I kinda like the bunker snag idea - for both the jet skiers & the ATV rider.

Like to see if I can "lip hook 'em".

·
Registered
14 Posts
For the record, LIBBA is out there too ;o) We are all for access, but also conservation. If I see those guys out there ripping up the rivers edge, out comes the 8oz persuader... ;o)

We all have rights, but not at the expense of others. These guys on Jet Skis are only adding to the bad reputation they already have. And as always, it only takes a few bad apples. If they make too much of a mess, they'll come after all of us, regardless.

As far as a limit on how far you can travel up the river, this is only my second season out there, and seeing as I saw boats docked as far up as I traveled, I assumed powered boats (mine is a 16' aluminum, so I can get pretty shallow) were allowed up as far as they could go. Am I wrong?

BTW, that DEC number is going into the boat, I carry my cell phone with me, and I'd rather see them fined than scared off temporarily. Thanks.

Now, can we call the DEC about all the Sea Robins that've been stealing my bait, I'm starting get to know them by name ;o)

Richie

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.