NorEast Fishing Forum banner

Dire need of new crew......

2K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  max171 
#1 ·
Was out sharking Sat 8/10 in the compass rose.... I did locate the Great Hammerhead ........ He was standing next to me .....

The clicker went off, a deep mack bait was picked up, he let it go, go, go and went to slam the hook home........... Didn't put the reel to strike....... Wasted 10 minutes undoing the line mess.

An hour later a pitch bait was picked up and this time the lever was way up and a whole bunker bait came flying into the boat at mach 2.

I can't be a tour guide anymore....
email me at mfs@avarex.com if the occasional run sounds in order. I run out of Oceanside

#8 ·
reelfun / sakroc:

I certainly agree with your perspective, and would never hesitate to share knowledge with another who was interested. We all learned these tidbits and skills from others.

My problem is with the individuals that nap until the clicker goes and are noticeably absent when clean-up time arrives. These are the folks that think they're on a pleasure cruise, and don't care or bother with the 'work' that goes into spending a day offshore.

#9 ·
That's certainly understandable, can't blame you for that. To make a mistake on a fish is one thing, and one should forgive that so long as the person is trying. But if you're sleeping the whole time when someone else does the work, then how are you going to learn anyway?

#11 ·
Knots

Sakroc,
I know what you mean about knots, but most of them are real easy with practice. I would suggest first trying to tie them with a heavier line, like parachute cord or light clothesline. That way you can see what you're doing and avoid mistakes. Then work your way down to the line you actually use.
Paul

#12 ·
thanks for the tip

Paul - Appreciate the advice. I'll give that a shot, it can't hurt. My biggest problem I guess has been limited fine dexterity with my fingers - it's why I'm typing this with two fingers instead of touch typing! (Although I have been dubbed the fast two finger typer in the east!)

#13 ·
Know what your going through...

Mike,
next year I might be doing the same thing,looking for three new guys that want to shark fish when I can get out.I only have a 25'er but I'm loosing alot of days with nice seas because I can't get a crew anymore,its tough.Only shark fished twice this year.Last year I sold all my tuna gear because I was pissed about not getting offshore much.I'll see what happens in the spring,I might be looking too.
paulie

#14 ·
share your pain

i too need a good crew..its easy to get 2 -3 guys, its hard to get 2 die hards or guys really willing to learn, most just want to sleep in and out, be handed a rod with a fish on, and walk off with as many mako steaks as they can carry,i have made 5 trips to the virgina with guys i would never invite on my boat again for offshore fishin, the 2 trips i made with 1 guy (great fisherman) was a home run,.. i bought a 26 ft regulator so that i would not need too many guys and handling the boat would not be its own project
who knew getting a good fisherman would be tough,
Max

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.