NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at repowering my 34 Phoenix with diesels. Spoke to several companies at the boat show and have two of them coming to look at and quote my repower. I'm looking to see if anyone has had good/bad experiences with any local repower companies, and also looking for and good/bad stories with Yanmar (which is what I'm leaning toward as far as manufacturers). Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!

·
Registered
13,647 Posts
I went through a repower 2 years ago, from a Volvo to Yanmar. I worked with Dante at Al Grover's High n' Dry, Freeport. They do it right, and they do it right the first time. There were no issues, no going back, except for the 50 hour checkup.

I would highly recommend them. I personally know of a dozen or so people that he has repowered their boats with Yanmar in recent years, and as far as I know they are all happy customers today.

Best thing I ever did for my boat was that repower, I have never looked back since.

MakoMatt

·
Registered
826 Posts
YANMAR IS THE WAY TO GO!

I got a 33 pace express which is big and heavy. I CAN RUN THOSE BABYS AT LIKE 3800 RPMS! They are unbelievable. got the 315s.

They are quiet, smooth and just all around wonderful!

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
One major thing you want to look for when repowering is the customer/engine support you will get down the line. Around here, you have plenty of customer support for Volvo, CAT, Yanmar and Cummins.

Al Grover does good work. I too know of several people who had nothing but good things to say about their repower.

In addition to Yanmar I'd also look at Cummins.

·
Registered
857 Posts
If I were you I would do a lot of research about yanmar trouble and how they stand behind their product. You may find yourself looking at other engines. I am not knocking on them but they do have their problems.

This post edited by oneblitzen 06:35 PM 01/03/2008

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
Strikerthree...you are totally correct about the Styers, they are terrific motors. The only problem is gettin parts and service in the area, hence my earlier mention of engine "support."

Here's a link to a dude who restored a 26 Mako twin inboard and repowered with 165hp Styers.

Enjoy Cool Styer Diesel Mako

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies, I have heard mostly good about the Yanmars, and a few negatives, but they seem to be suited to repowers the best. Not positive I wouldn't lean towards something else in a new boat, but Yanmars seem to make sense to me in a repower. I have heard a lot of good things about Grover, both here and elsewhere, however I am most impressed (so far) with a company called Specialized Services, on Long Island. Not definitely going with them, its hard to consider anyone but Grovers. Has anyone dealt with Specialized?

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Repower

Vroppelt,
I will be at the show stop by the Yanmar Booth and we can work up a round number quote, so you can explore your options. I concur that customer support in this area for Yanmar, Cat, Cummins & Volvo is very fine and all of those companies offer very fine products with close to the same performance. You can fill out the below spec sheet to speed things along. If you want you can also just E mail the information back to [email protected]
REPOWER WORKSHEET

Customer
Name: ___________________Tel# ( )______________Fax# ( )_________
E-mail address_______________________________________________________

Current Vessel Information:

Make & Year: ____________________Current Power: _________________

Model: ____________________Hours: _____________

Hull Type: _______________ Single or Twin:__________________

Length: ____________________ HP:_________ Shaft Diameter_______

Weight: ____________________ Cruise Speed/RPM:__________________

# of Stations: __ Generator:_______KW Top Speed: _____________
Propeller Size: _______________ # of Prop Blades:________________

Primary Vessel Use:________________ Gear: Model & Ratio: _____________

Distance of Propeller Centerline to Hull (Max Prop Size): ____________________

Repower Recommendations

Diesel: _____ Gas: _____ Make: _______________ HP: ___________

Shafting: _________________ Gear Type & Ratio: _______________

Approx. Propeller Sizing: ___________Projected Amount of Time:___________

Repower Date: ___________Status of Used Power: ______________________

Additional Comments:______________________________________________

Questions & Comments:

This post edited by captainlarry84 12:28 AM 01/04/2008

·
Registered
201 Posts
Absolutely love the Yanmar 240 we had put in. But regardless of what brand you decide on- having it done at Grover's is the way to go. It may not end up being the lowest bid, but the project will come in on budget, on time, and when you get something fixed at Grovers it only gets done once!

·
Registered
2,647 Posts
Yanmar
Grovers
You can't go wrong with either one!

Steyr...Good strong engine but with a maximum of only 250hp available it would probably be a little small for a 34' express. Not to mention the lack of support in this area.

This post edited by JESSIELEE 05:33 AM 01/04/2008

·
Registered
510 Posts
If you are considering a Yanmar, I'm guessing taht your engine room is "space-limited". If not (you have enough room) look at Cummins. Those Yanmars are nice diesels .... but really just a "toy-diesel" compared to Cummins or John Deere. All of those high rev'ing diesels are fine if you want a light-weight and small diesel and the good fuel economy but the longevity of a Yanmar is not much better than a GM 350 and the install cost and repair is much higher. If you want a diesel and can find the room in the boat .... go Cummins. A factory reman-Cummins 6bta at 315hp will cost about $20k each (less in some places) and will beat a Yanmar 315 in every single performance characteristic .... no question.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So far....

So far it seems like both the Yanmar and the Cummins have about a 95% 'approval rating', with a couple of horror stories on each type of motor. The longevity of the motors, while obviously a factor, is not as key for me (I dont think). I have been told that I'm looking at about 4-5K hours on the Yanmar, as opposed to the standard 10K on the Cummins, but at my expected 250-300 hours/year, both motors will probably outlast the useful life of the boat (another 15 years, even on the Yanmars). So, I am now much more informed, but still very undecided (confused!) on which motors are the 'right' motors. I have two people coming to give me estimates/reccommendations this week, so I'll post back what they tell me, and ask for your comments (again!). THANKS FOR ALL THE INFO AND SUGGESTIONS, THIS STUFF IS INVALUABLE!!
Vin

BTW, I did take the advice and subscribe to www.boatdiesel.com, well worth it....

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
vroppelt wrote:
The longevity of the motors, while obviously a factor, is not as key for me (I dont think). I have been told that I'm looking at about 4-5K hours on the Yanmar, as opposed to the standard 10K on the Cummins, but at my expected 250-300 hours/year, both motors will probably outlast the useful life of the boat (another 15 years, even on the Yanmars).

IMHO there is no limit on the "useful life" of a fiberglass boat as long as you don't run into anything!

·
Registered
443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
MakoMike, I guess you are correct, and we do take great care of this boat, so maybe it's more a factor than I thought, although I HIGHLY doubt that I'll still have this boat 15 or more years from now....maybe resale value?

MakoMatt, you said in an earlier post on this thread that you chose the Yanmars and are very happy wih them. What factors madeyou chooses the Yanmar over the Cummins?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.