NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well .... at noon today, my wife told me that there was a weather warning on the Jet Blue website when she attempted to print out our Monday A.M. boarding passes for Orlando, Fla. It suggested steps to take re. changing flights to Tues. or Wed. I turned on the local TV weather channel and found an ominous National Weather Storm Warning stating that 6 - 12 inches was expected in some areas and that 4 - 8 inches were expected in the City including the JFK area of Queens. We decided to reschedule for next month, as opposed to trying to hack it out riding 70 mi. to the airport on Mon. A.M. .... and at the air terminal stressfully wondering if our flight would be cancelled, etc. Rescheduling was not an easy task because it required contacting the hotel, towncar driver, car rental co., Jet Blue, dog sitter, etc. BTW, there was an extra $150.00 charge for the changes.


:rolleyes:So, for the last few hours, I'm watching a downgrade in weather to (maybe) 1-3 inches, mostly a slushy accumulation. We are not world travelers by any means, especially during the winter months. Of course, now I'm second guessing our decisions. Anybody want to comment on this? Just curious .... :confused:will they fly out in these questionable conditions? :confused:Would a delayed flight be a given? :confused:Did we do the right thing? I say this because there will be a next time and we might have a similar situation (You never know.) Thanks for any input that you might share.

(Yes, I am aware of the debacle that Jet Blue customers faced earlier this year.)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,785 Posts
Where did you hear 4-8 inches? For the last couple days I have heard 3-6 N and W of the city and only about 1-3 for most of LI/NYC.

I would have to say that they would fly. There may be/probably will be a delay, but, it could be here or somewhere else in the country causing it. I would be checking the temp also. If the snow is falling on the planes and freezing then that will cause major problems. But the temp will be at or near 32 so when/if they spray the plane to de-ice it, it will be effective.

I would have gone. They also stated that it (the storm ) will be out of here by the afternoon, or change to rain. IMO the worst case scenario would be a delay of a couple hours.

Where you are coming from (you said 70 mile trip) if it is 70 miles North of the city then you may have had a rough time getting here.

Sux that you had to reschedule.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
37,770 Posts
oops

well looks like you made the wrong choice:rolleyes:

But better safe than sorry:)

I think the weather forcasts get worse as the technoligy these guys seems to improve, it's always a 50-50 shot what we get here on the Island, and you like me usually end up picking the wrong side of the coin
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
112,311 Posts
they were just saying on the news that 200 too 300 flights were cancelled or delayed in the NYC aera
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
23,846 Posts
Im not sure you made a bad move. Like Cany said the delays and cancelled flights are off the wall. And what Jetblue does is load everyone on the plane then sit somewhere on the tarmat so they do not get hit with late fees for sitting at the doors. Others do this too but Jetblue has made this a habbit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We're Hangin' in There for Next Time

We were coming from the Riverhead area and we heard & saw the report on the Cablevision Traffic & Weather station. The red stripe across the screen announcing
STORM WARNING
6-12 IN. in some ares is what really got me:mad:. Queens was in the 4-8 in. zone. We also read on-line (Jet Blue) about steps to take regarding possible
cancellations & rescheduling
on account of the impending storm.

In one way, it looks as if we blew it .... I didn't even have to shovel my steep and dangerous driveway this A.M. However, if 200-300 planes were affected, perhaps we would have been spending the entire P.M. at JFK, not an attractive way of spending leisure time IMHO. Weather forecasts for the Sunshine State did not sound very good either .... lots of cloudy days and not very warm temps (60s and lows in the 40s). Perhaps during our later visit, we'll fare better with the overall weather and transport. Maybe we spent an extra $150.00 for better conditions and less stress. We're crossing our fingers.


Thanks for the input, folks! :):):)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,334 Posts
I must admit,... I like your positive attitude !!
Maybe on the rescheduled trip you will have 8o degree days


The news stations error on the side of bad conditions instead of better ones. Looks like this storm was hit/miss and it missed us 100%. Regardless they exaggerate everything. By doing so it increases ratings and therefore more money for them. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say they do it because it's safer for the public to underestimate a storm and dangerous conditions. :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thinking Positive

Fishing Friend wrote:
I must admit,... I like your positive attitude !!
Maybe on the rescheduled trip you will have 8o degree days


The news stations error on the side of bad conditions instead of better ones. Looks like this storm was hit/miss and it missed us 100%. Regardless they exaggerate everything. By doing so it increases ratings and therefore more money for them. Let's give them the benefit of the doubt and say they do it because it's safer for the public to underestimate a storm and dangerous conditions. :rolleyes:

Yup! The glass is still half full.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top