NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the watershed closed I am scrambling to find other spots to icefish. I live in Westchester and I was banging the browns in Cross River last winter (sigh). I guess I will have to go back to my training grounds, where i fished as a boy with my Uncle. Bear Mountain and all those lakes over on the other side of the Hudson. He told me to look into the NYC watershed I did and 17yrs of putting a pattern on when where and how ,to the seasons i got many great fish in all the watersheds. I have access to boats on several of them. Last year on Nov 30th I was catchin 15,16 inch yellows in Kensico, (delicious) Oh well I guess you can tell I am homesick for those waters.
Alot of time and years invested. Tried to do some saltwater fishin to help my mind, it was fun but I miss my rowboat !!!! take care

·
Registered
32 Posts
I'm not much of an ice fisherman, but I am truly terrified that they will not open the watershed in April when ice is out. This is a huge part of my, and many other guys', life and I just can't tolerate the idea that the years of fishing up there and in Putnam might really be in jeopardy. Not to mention all the boats that I own and thousands of other guys own. I wonder what the odds are that we are going to be able to fish again up there anytime soon. I do not know what I would do with myself!!!

·
Registered
505 Posts
I live on Long Island but I've been fishing the Westchester/Putnam reservoirs since 85. I believe the waters will be opened come April. I have no inside information. However once the fear dies down. And the powers that be recognize they are better off with us then without us. We'll have access again. The economic reasons alone will be enough.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Surfcaster,
Boy I sure hope so, I really do. I can't imagine them shutting them down, but the DEP has a history of not being real big fans of the fishing. I don't know; it just doesn't make sense that they would shut them down and the revenue generated is pretty sizeable. Let's keep our fingers crossed and thanks for the hopeful reply.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.