NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
I would love another way to get off this pile of rock and sand.

The old bridge proposal that makes the most sense to me is to connect the William Floyd Parkway (LI) to I-91/95 (CT)

I believe that Robert Moses thought it might be necessary by the year 2000:rolleyes:

This post edited by Koz54 03:41 PM 01/28/2008

·
Registered
7,368 Posts
they have been talking about this for a long time. The private funds thing is new to me.
Sure just what we need another tunnel authority, like the one we have is not bad enough. Thanks R Moses!!!

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
Lattitudechange wrote:
I wouldn't mind having another way to get off LI. That's the same site as the bridge was proposed. Unfortunatly it will never happen, nobody wants it in their back yard.

Slight correction, the wealthy and polically connected residents of Rye NY and environs, don't want it in their backyard. Notice how far north of the water I95 runs along that stretch of shoreline?

·
Registered
9,164 Posts
craigkoproski wrote:
I would imagine a bridge would be more cost effective and quicker to put up?

Craig 2 reasons.

1 Shipping lanes. Fears of it being blown up and blocking the shipping lanes are now part of planning.
2. Politically a tunnel buried is a lot easier to swallow than a huge bridge in everyone's view.

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
What about something similar to The Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel?

When my brother in law was stationed in Virginia Beach we took the trip down there a few times a year. That bridge tunnel was a great alternative to I-95
. It would not block the shipping lanes (if it fell down or was blown up) to the Atlantic Fleet thanks to the two tunnels

·
Registered
35,001 Posts
I say go with either one........my crew would be responsible for the maintenance and plowing...
.................then I'd have an excuse to cross over into LI to turn around..
...............LOL

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
gverb1219 wrote:
MakoMike wrote:
Is CT framing you guys out? This bridge or tunnel would be entirely in NY? :confused:

Oh, I thought someone posted about it going from WFP to I-91/I-95 in CT........:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Yeah, but that was just his wet dream, the real proposal is for a tunnel from Rye to Pt. Washington.

·
Registered
9,248 Posts
MakoMike wrote:

Yeah, but that was just his wet dream, the real proposal is for a tunnel from Rye to Pt. Washington.

A bridge connecting either New Haven, Connecticut or East Haven, Connecticut, with Shoreham, New York, on Long Island. This bridge would be an extension of Interstate 91 which would continue through Long Island via the already existing William Floyd Parkway.

This post edited by Koz54 09:35 PM 01/28/2008

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.