NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,790 Posts
I checked out a chart from about 1853. There were two inlets at Fire Island. One was Oak Island Inlet, west of Captree Island. There was also an inlet at Gilgo Beach. On this chart, there is no inlet at Zachs Bay. I think that broke through later. Jones Inlet was known as "New Inlet". I will try to find the link to this chart. Real interesting to look at. I will post if I can find it.

· Registered
2,790 Posts
Try this link. It should get you to a site that has many historical charts. It might take some looking, but the chart that I speak of is there. There are many others as well. You will spend a lot of time searching this data base if you are history buff. Beware! Let me know if you make any good finds. I have located most of the South Shore charts and copied them to my computer disk. Enjoy.

Wow, its late, I gotta get to bed.

http://historicals.ncd.noaa.gov/historicals/histmap.asp

· Registered
2,790 Posts
The charts I am refering to are at the end of the list. I was able to copy and download those charts to a .jpg file and view them with a picture viewer. I was also able to print them out. They are very interesting. Hard to believe they were done before flight. Totally from the ground!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts