NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was talking with a friend today and I mentioned a building maybe a light house west of Gilgo Beach on the ocean side. He said there was no such building. I think it may have been torn down in the late 70's. Does anyone remember the building and know what it was.

Thanks

·
Registered
251 Posts
I'm pretty sure it was east of Gilgo, in the area of the 4-wheel entrance now. Opposite what locals call Hemlock cove on the bay side, the ocean side had an old Coast Guard station. It was on the beach, I think some storms then a fire then some more storms did it in. Not sure if it had a light or not, but my bet is that's what you're thinking of.
Used to take my boat from Bellmore and surf there in the 60's.
West of Gilgo (actually west of Tobay was an old Jones Beach bath house, Field 9. They say storms did that in but I always though they closed it because of the sewer pipe that ran through it(conspiracy theory paranoia?). It also dissapeared in the late 60's or early 70's.

(This post edited by srfshr on 10/14/2003)

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
I know that between Jones inlet and Fire Island Inlet was Zachs inlet. There used to be a U.S. Lifesaving station there (before the CG even officially existed. It was then turned into a Coast Guard Station.

I believe the foundations of some of the buildings could still be found in the marsh/overgrown areas.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
I checked out a chart from about 1853. There were two inlets at Fire Island. One was Oak Island Inlet, west of Captree Island. There was also an inlet at Gilgo Beach. On this chart, there is no inlet at Zachs Bay. I think that broke through later. Jones Inlet was known as "New Inlet". I will try to find the link to this chart. Real interesting to look at. I will post if I can find it.

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
Try this link. It should get you to a site that has many historical charts. It might take some looking, but the chart that I speak of is there. There are many others as well. You will spend a lot of time searching this data base if you are history buff. Beware! Let me know if you make any good finds. I have located most of the South Shore charts and copied them to my computer disk. Enjoy.

Wow, its late, I gotta get to bed.

http://historicals.ncd.noaa.gov/historicals/histmap.asp

·
Registered
2,790 Posts
The charts I am refering to are at the end of the list. I was able to copy and download those charts to a .jpg file and view them with a picture viewer. I was also able to print them out. They are very interesting. Hard to believe they were done before flight. Totally from the ground!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was talking with a friend today and I mentioned a building maybe a light house west of Gilgo Beach on the ocean side. He said there was no such building. I think it may have been torn down in the late 70's. Does anyone remember the building and know what
There definitely was I lighthouse on the ocean side of gilgo, we used to climb in in after it was destroyed by storms, but had a circular staircase and we had beer/bourbon etc. parties and bonfires on the beach through an acquaintance we knew who's parents owned a house on the bay side we crossed ocean pkwy and didn't go through the area of the tunnel which was further west. Many fun memories one of which was melting beer bottles into ashtrays in the hot embers of the fire among other things wink, wink!!! So I verify you are correct!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
When Field 9 got watched away, The lifeguard crew were moved to West End 2 to cover west side of the beach to the jetty because WE2 had 2700 parking spaces that closed daily. That crew's lifeguard stand was called WEBO [West End Beach Overlook]. They're lifeguard shack was at the SW corner of the parking lot. --The CC station was washed at that same storm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts