NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
23,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in Fishbox's shop the other night and he showed me the Diawa Viento. This real looks really sharp for fluking..thats if we have an open season this year. It has what they call a twitchin bar that can be used for jigging fluke cause it picks up the slack with a press of the thumb. He mentioned to me that this reel is not meant for salt. Has anyone used this in on saltwater and what do you guys think?

·
Super Moderator
10,365 Posts
Nice reel and I believe we discussed it fairly thoroughly last Winter - right after its introduction. I'm not in a position to search for those old posts right now, but I bet they pop right.

I would think that if the twitch is around 1-3", I'm not so sure using this reel would be that great an advantage over just jigging the rod's tip. I dunno,to be honest. I do know that Daiwa makes some great low-profile reels and that the materials in it are top-grade.

Open question - Does anyone on this board have any flukin' experience using this reel?

Let us know if you do.

best, Lep

·
Registered
9,956 Posts
Gaucho, where is Fishbox located and is there a website?

The Twitching bar is nothing new, it's been on the specialized types of reels for several years.I persoanlly think these would work great when castin out and the jig swims back at you, instead of turning the handle you just hit the button. 100% 1 hand operation of the reel, and when the jig swishes past you you can hit the freespool button and keep going with teh drift without having to touch the handle.

Perfect foor drinking a beer & bucktailing. NO, I have not treid this for SW, but I have considered it.

·
Registered
1,799 Posts
Viento...

I had a chance to play with the Viento over the summer as one of my buddies has one.

An excellent casting reel. I was using it with a 1/2 oz. plastic frog.

The twitching bar : I used the bar to just move the frog from one pad to the other. I would say with each twitch, the bait is moved approx. 3-4 in. I enjoyed this feature.

Overall, i really enjoyed this reel. Lite in weight, casts like a dream, had power to pull some nice largies out of the weeds with little strain. I had the drag locked down so i can not comment on how smooth the drag is.

I think this reel would not be used to its full potential in a fluking situation. If you are casting on the flats that i can see, but for straight up and down fluking, Overkill.

I had my mind set to purchase a new Curado 200 D, but the Viento or the TDA advantage have me taking a good look at Diawa...

This post edited by flukerr 10:58 AM 01/10/2008

·
Premium Member
23,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Billy, Fishbox is on Northern Blvd in queens. He is also a member here on NE. Very nice guy.

When he showed me the reel I was very impressed with the low profile like Lep said. Yeah I bet you can work the pole one handed and drink a beer/soda with the other one. It's a 6:3:1 ratio. What he did say was Diawa made these reels for freshwater and the bearings take a beating with the saltwater.

·
Banned
809 Posts
Daiwa has a cheaper twitcing reel. The Megaforce Mag with Twitchin bar. About $60. I dislike it because the gear ratio is 7:1 and I imagine that a short fluke would fight me to standstill. Works nice in the living room though.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Viento feedback

We have sold a mess of the Viento reels, but all of them to freshwater fisherman. All who have bought and used it seem to really like it. We agree with Lep, although it's a great feature, we don't know if it takes up enough line to make it effective in the salt.

We just returned from the largest dealer tackle show in the country and had an opportunity to see and play with the new, less expensive model. It functions the same as the Viento but definately not as high quality. We saw SOOOO much at this show and can't remember the retail on the new one but I do remember thinking that I would rather use the Viento... much nicer feel to it!!

Good luck everyone!

·
Registered
68 Posts
gamakatsu hook

MisterX wrote:
Billy,

Is it true your going to be selling boxes of 100 Gamagatsu octopus hooks for $21 at the show?

If so, is there a limit on how many I can buy?

Thanks

yes, haven't decided on limit. Also even the show will start friday I won't be there until saturday.

·
Registered
18,277 Posts
I used one last season and love it. I'm hoping they incorporate the "twitching bar" into some bigger reels.
Perfect for light line, small jiggin in mid water. I used it in the ambrose channel all season and had fish well above 24" in 30'-40' of water.

This post edited by DarthBaiter 02:56 AM 01/18/2008

·
Registered
18,277 Posts
The bearing held up fine. The drag was good and smooth...though I really didn't have any fish to really test it. I did land a few in near the 2' with mark no problem.
The best thing is you can fish the reel with one hand all the time till you catch a big fish. You can even reel a small fish in with the twitchin bar as long as you pump the rod...lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.