NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was thinking about getting one

looks like a 7ft and 8ft are same action Mh and line 20 to 50 but if don't give lure weight was wondering if someone has one and what lure oz rod can handle hoping for up to 16 oz

Northeast Cod
SA-CD701MHFB MH F 7' 1 20 - 50 - 9 guides
SA-CD801MHFB MH F 8' 1 20 - 50 - 9 guides

·
Registered
594 Posts
my $.02

If I were going to buy an off the rack cod rod, the only one I would buy would be the 8' ugly stick (1120 i think) for 60 bux. That rod is tried and true, and my favorite off the rack rod. To me, spending over 100 bux on an off the rack rod, that might be just ok for the job is not a good investment. Better off buying a custom tool that was built for the job. I think kay has basic jigging rods for under 200 bux (the gator glass jobbies), and honestly, almost any custom is going to be better than any off the rack rod. Just my opinion. Plus, looking at the pic of these rods they have cork grips and a trigger seat, neither of which are things id want in a jigging rod.

-Tim

This post edited by seamister63 12:01 AM 02/05/2008

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was also thinking the rod would make a good offshore seabass too bait or jig fishing???

I believe cod rod comes with no trigger seat pic is wrong i think

Called daiwa rod has no trigger reel seat

This post edited by fishonmike 10:54 AM 02/05/2008

·
Banned
2,102 Posts
Codrod

Sorry Seamister i can't agree with you completely. While the ugly stick that you mentioned is widely utilized i prefer the Seekers. First they carry a lifetime limited warrenty. Second they are still made in America
. The 7' model is capable of handling sinker weights up to 5lbs. In this day and age of Codfishing i would not want to purchase a stick that could only handle up to 16oz jigs/sinkers as on numerous cod trips i have had to utilize up to 24 oz sinkers to hold bottom properly. Last but not least the rod is also an excellent Tilefish stick and handles Tuna jigging especially well
. Cost, around $140.00 and worth every penny.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
If these are the rods with cork grips and trigger seats, give them a pass. The one you want is the 8' model with hard foam grips and FUJI DPSH boat rod seat. As I posted earlier, the rod I played with was bought in FL. I haven't seen or heard of any being available locally. It's a shame, really, as this is an absolutely fantastic cod rod for a hundred bucks. Nothing else in that price range comes remotely close.

P.S. Welcome back, Tim! What have you been up to?

P.P.S. Ugly sticks suck, now and forever.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I'm of the school of thought that a cod jigging rod is a specailized tool, and have never really felt a reasonably priced factory rod comes that close to a custom in this respect. My recent alternative to spending a lot of money on an expensive custom is to build your own. It's not hard, and you get exactly what you want. My reasoning behind the ugly stick is I cant see spending more than 60 bux to get something that isnt a specalized piece of equipment for a specalized application.

-Tim

ps- Mike, i've been doing the grad school thing, but have been reading the boards, just not posting, might be up for a ride on the classic if the weather lets us go some time soon, cause im gonna have a hard time waiting for april.

·
Registered
280 Posts
For an inexpensive jigging rod, the 8' ugly stick is a good rod; provided you cut off the last 10" and glue a tip top there. I have done that and the rod performs well.

However, if you want an excellent off the rack and relatively inexpensive jigging rod, the Seeker East Coast BA-50 is the way to go. I have used these rods for many years and they are super. I use them for jigging cod and tuna. No need to look any further.

·
Registered
540 Posts
If you are going to buy and off the rack rod. By the seeker BA 50. It is a great all around rod. i have caught cod, haddock, and YFT on it. It has backbone enough to hold 20 plus oz of lead but can still fish easily with 8oz.

The ugly stick is ok...but when fishing with alot of weight the blank tends to load up too much and you lose feel with the heavier weights

·
Registered
328 Posts
The seeker BA-50 is definitely a tough rod, but like the ugly stick i stoo heavy for my taste. Check out the Tzunami Trophy Extra heavy (701XH 40-50#), which is just as tough, but much lighter. It also can be had bought for 60 dollars. It can be pulled on until I can no longer hold it.

That Saltiga looks intersting, but I'm not sure if I'd want to use such high mod graphite on a PB...maybe? It looks real good for 99 dollars and a lifetime warranty so if it breaks who cares.

·
Registered
995 Posts
I got the 8' one and used it on the mutton trip with the Yankee Capts. very good rod very light in weight, beat the piss out of a very big nurse shark. After that fight with the shark a few people on the boat comented on the rod and asked to hold it. Seems to fling jigs alittle like the old glass rods, this commet came from a fellow on the boat who tried it.
I paid $129 were can I get another for $100 I would like to get another.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Interesting discussion for me since I am in the market for a new cod rod and reel. I have been useing a 30 yr. old 8' penn heavy duty slammer ( it is not made any more) and it worked well for me but now the rod seems heavier than it was when I originally bought it!. I also have to pair this with a left handed reel. From the discussion, I might get the Tsunami and pair it with a newell or any other reasonably priced lefty reel. Any thoughts on this combo?

·
Registered
175 Posts
diawa saltiga cod rod

the seeker a775-7rt rock cod rod ia the pefect off the rack pole for the $ around 150 bucks comes with a roller tip i changed mine.but it all comes down to what you like not us we can just help guide you by what we know.go to your local tackle shop put your hands on some of the poles and go on what feels right.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I looked at both the 7ft and 8ft are MH 20 to 50lb Saltiga Cod Rods today at the NE Fishing show in Hartford.

The Rods are incredibly light and thin, but strong. They reminded me of a mutant version of the muskie rods you see in the Midwest.

No trigger on these Saltiga models, but they do have cork butts. Why they are using cork for a saltwater series rod is puzzling. The seat seems fairly heavy duty, but they went somewhat cheap on the guides using Fuji Alconite instead of Fuji Hardloy or other hd materials used on many saltwater rods. Based on the midrange build materials and quality maybe they should call these Saltist Rods instead of Saltiga.

The salesman screwed on one of the new smaller size Saltists and the weight ratio felt perfect.

With some reservations, I ended up buying one for $100. I am going to mate it with the new saltist and use it on an upcoming seabass trip. I attached a 12oz drail to the line and the rod did not feel loaded up swinging the weight.

Like another Poster said, there is a lifetime warranty if I blow it up this season.

Todd

This post edited by thatstodd2 09:52 PM 02/16/2008

·
Registered
407 Posts
FishWisher wrote:
You got that back asswards - alconite is a much higher grade of aluminum oxide than hardloy. It's an above average guide insert material. Hardloy sucks.

Thanks for the correction. Sometimes, it is good to be wrong. When I looked it up on the net today, as I never heard of Alconite before, I did indeed read the description "a%s backwards".

This post edited by thatstodd2 09:51 PM 02/16/2008

·
Registered
72 Posts
I own the 6'9" striper model.So far I've used it on 3 Block Island cod trips.I had no problem using 12oz jigs and sinkers in heavy tides,easily handling fish to 15lbs.I bought the rod as a blackfish-seabass rod,which I beleive the 6'9" striper and 7'cod stick will be perfect for.I was a little apprehensive about using a high modulus graphite rod with specta on a head boat for cod but after using it,it is one of the best all around moderately priced factory sticks I've owned.I think you'll enjoy yours nice and light and seems like you can really put the pork to it.As with all my graphite rods I'm careful not nick or gouge the blank.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.