NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my hands on a Cabelas spring catalog.
Saw some Diawa reels advertised.
There were 3 models that got my attention.
Team Diawa, Diawa SS II and Diawa SS.
They were priced $184 , $149 , $99.
Has anyone used these reels and how do they
compare to penn reels?
Are they good for surfcasting with lures?
Or are these Diawa reels your typical fresh
water NO BALLS reel?

IBEW local 1049

This message was edited by IBEW on 1-12-02 @ 9:54 PM

·
Registered
353 Posts
The Daiwa 2600SS was a good value at $160, it's a GREAT value at $99.
It has the smoothest re-settable drag of any reel I own. (I own MANY reels)
They are difficult to rebuild, Causeway services them though, and has parts.
They will not stand an immersion in saltwater without a rebuild.

I feel they are SUPERIOR to the "improved" SS II !
They have "long cast" spool design, but not "unlimited anti-reverse".
I think they are a PERFECT match for the 8 1/2 foot St. Croix (Ben Doerr).

I know nothing about the "Team Daiwa" reel you mentioned,
although I've had good luck with other "Team Daiwa" products.
Hope this helps ...

Flounder

·
Registered
487 Posts
I owned a Team Daiwa S35000CU. It got 6 BBs. I have caught big Blues on it. I only have it for a while. It got a good drag and good bail spring.
I also got a Penn 9500SS. This one got only 3 BB. The Penn has a okay drag but gave me problems after a while. I like the Penn for the line capacity. It is very heavy for casting lures, good for bait.

I like the Daiwa for the smooth gears when playing with a big fish on the line. I dont like that it cannot hold heavier line. I used it strictly for casting lures.

With the Penn 9500SS I can always find reel parts in any bait shop. The Daiwa reel I cannot find parts as easily, but it has not broken on me yet. My Penn gave me headaches.

:)

·
Registered
25 Posts
I own both Penn and Daiwa reels, and tend to like Daiwa better for their spinning reels, the Emblem series is amazing!! For conventional reels I like the Penns better. Daiwa is hard to get parts for, but I have had a BG60 for many years and have had no problems. As long as you take care of your reels and don't abuse them either company is good.
The emblem Series realy performs extrmelly well for tossing lures, plugs and poppers and fairly well for bait as well.Yess they have balls, especially the Emblem X 6000 T, made for saltwater fishing and also the emblem 5500 A.
Also the Ambassadeur series from Abu Garcia is dynamite too. Just got a 6500CS Mag. Haven't tried it yet but it is supposedly used in tounament casting. Will post results soon.
All in all I like Daiwa better.

·
Registered
25 Posts
No problem IBEW, check out other catalogs before you buy anything, I have found e-Anler.com and tackledirect.com to be alittle cheaper in price, and both are great websites also. Shipping was super quick with tackledirect.com and e angler not bad either. You can find out all sorts of info on anything you are looking for, including reels and compare them. Also check out Daiwa.com
Tight lines to all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.