NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much lead should you use for jigging on Georges Bank and Stellwaggen Bank? Also, will lunker lights provide any added benefit? I never jigged for Cod before and I heard jigging can produce better results than bait.

·
Registered
199 Posts
All depends on the current and depth on the particular day you are fishing. On average, I would say that a 14-16 oz jig is the most commonly used. I usually carry jigs from 14 oz all the way up to 24 oz., although you rarely have to use them that big. But if you do need them, and you don't have them, then no fish for you...lol.
As for jigging producing more than bait, again, it all depends on the day. I would say that the further north you go, there are more cod caught on jigs, but that is because jigs are more popular than bait up htat way. I don't know why, but that's the way it is. I've had days where bait worked better, and I've had days when jigs worked better. There have been days when both were equally effective. So you never can tell. Best bet is to try both, and see wich one works better, and stick with that.
And as for light sticks, I've never tried them, and have never seen anybody try them. Maybe someone else can help you out with that.
Any other questions, please feel free to ask, or you can even e-mail me.
Hope this helps.
~tight lines~

~spinfreak~

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the information. I appreciate your quick response. I am somewhat of a novice when it comes to fishing with jigs or anything else for that matter. I just became serious July 2001. And I am trying to get as much good information as possible. So forgive me in advance if some of my questions are a little quirky. Now, tell me where can I get some Cod Fish jigs. Will 14 to 24oz diamond jigs with treble hooks work fine?

This message was edited by francim13 on 2-22-02 @ 8:24 AM

·
Registered
185 Posts
I like to replace the trebles with a single with a red tube. Sometimes if they're hitting teasers better, you may want to take the hook off of the jig & put another teaser on. I believe you're only allowed two hooks. If you do a search, you can find more info on this board.

Joe Sanzone

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks Joe. I was just searching the internet for Diamond Jigs and I got the same information from Al Goldberg's Tackle Corner. I am going to check some of the tackle shops and The Sports Authority to see what they have available. It's kind of late in the season and the last time I looked, all the good stuff was taken. I might get lucky. If you know of any tacle shop that has a good suppply of Cod Fish Diamond Jigs on the North Shore or South Shore, let me know.

Thanks again

·
Registered
199 Posts
Most tackle shops should carry jigs. You can use diamonds jigs, but the better ones to use are called Norwegian jigs. They are similar to diamond jigs, but they are a 3 sided prism shape (instead of diamond shaped like a diamond jig), and they are bent a little. They usually cost a lot more than diamond jigs though. Most palces charge over 15 bucks each. Crippled herring jigs work pretty good too.
Most party boats sell jigs also, but they usually charge more than the stores.
If you happen to go up on the Yankee fleet, they sell the Norwegian jigs for really cheap. Last time I was up there, they were somewhere around 7 bucks. That's even cheaper than regular diamond jigs in most places.
The guy that I go fishing with showed me a new jig that is being made by a fellow here in Jersey. It's similar to a Chrome ball jig that is used for fluke, but much bigger. He's had very, very good results with it so far. I'm hoping to get a chance to see it in action on my trip next month. Right now, they're not available on the market, but they will be soon.
Oh yea...one more thing...I've seen jigs for sale on e-bay for pretty cheap. Most of them are right from the manufacturer. Just do a search for Cod Jigs (or codfish jigs), and see what comes up.
Hope this helps.
~tight lines~

~spinfreak~

·
Registered
1,732 Posts
francim13,

Offshore angler (bass pro) now carries the best cod jigs (my opinion of course). I would get at least 3 for a cod trip aboard a party boat. The brand is solavolski (spell?).

I would get two 14 oz jigs and 1 17.5 oz (18 in the catalog). Item numbers 35-142-058-03 & 04.

A trebble hook is considered one hook per NMFS and I wouldn't remove it. I would add one single hook teaser about 2' up on the leader from the jig.

Good luck,

Capt. Marc

·
Registered
199 Posts
OK! Here is something else for you. I've talked to a guy that sells jigs on e-bay, and he has a tackle company that sells all types of jigs, rigs, teasers, etc. (No...i'm not affiliated with them...just found a good deal, and want to share it with you guys.) The prices on jigs (especially the Cod jigs) are the lowest I've ever seen...even cheaper than I can get them at wholesale prices!

They are located in Horseheads, NY. They have a few different types of Cod jigs...plated or un-plated norwegian type, and plated "pipe style" jigs.
For orders under 50 bucks, they charge a $5 shipping charge, and orders over 50 bucks get FREE shipping!!! I'm going to place an order before my trip next month.

Here's the link: jigs, rigs, and stuff

They are still in the process of building the site, but it has quite a bit of stuff on it. Can't wait to see more as they add it.

Hope this helps you guys out!

~spinfreak~

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I was planning to get jigs ranging from 10oz up to 17oz. I don't know if my pole could take more lead than that. It is only rated up to 8oz, but it is fiberglass. I have a Daiwa Eliminator Heavy Action 7' pole. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm really not an expert on rods, but what I can tell you is that I carry jigs from 10-12 ounces on up to 21 ounces. The rod that I use is only rated up to 6 ounces, and I have never had any problems with it.
Like I said, I'm not a rod expert, so I don't really know what can and cannot be used going by the rod ratings. Somebody probably would have more info than I could give.

~spinfreak~

·
Registered
19 Posts
As far as a rod you ar better off with a longer rod for jigging, it saves your arms a little more than a short 6-7' rod. 6-7' is ok for bait. If you haven't benn jig fishing much, I would suggest using 14-17oz jigs. It will be easier for you to find bottom and catch more fish. I'm not an expert, but I do cod fish 30-40 trips a year on party and charter boats. I don't know where you are located, but i would be happy to recommend a boat to you. I fish mainly NH, Newberryport, Ma, Gloucester, and Rockport. I have 26 trips on a charter boat booked out of Rockport. I would be happy to pass on any info i have to help you guys out. I also build custom cod rods.
I will be posting fishing reports on my trips as the season gets going. My email is [email protected] if you would like to get in touch with me.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Sunchaser & Spinfreak,

I appreciate the advice. I am planning a trip to the Glouster area mid-March. I will let you know the exact details once I firm them up. Maybe we might meet up.

Tightlines!

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'll be going up on the March 23rd trip on the Yankee Fleet. It's a Saturday trip (I would rather go up on a weekday trip, because less people, but I take what I can get...lol.) Their first trip of the year is on the 22nd. The trips are booking up fast, so if your going to go on the Yankee Fleet, you better make reservations soon!!!
~tight lines~

~spinfreak~

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have a question; I just went to Yankee Fleet website and I reviewed the "Bait & Haddock Express". Why aren't jigs allowed? Is it because of the wrecks?

Also, I went to the site that spinfreak posted "Jigs, Rigs & Stuff". The advertiser for the Cod Jigs states that "there is no light after 150',and the Cod and Pollack are tricking at movement only. So these un-plated jigs work as well as any in the deep water." Interesting! Do you think that I might get some curious cod looking for a meal if I placed a lunker light on my jig? Just a question. I am willing to try anything for a bite! And what does tricking mean? (I'm a novice at the terminology!)

This message was edited by francim13 on 2-27-02 @ 2:22 PM

·
Registered
19 Posts
Francim13, It is not necessary to use a jg with plating as it does not really attract the fish. The action of the jig is more important. I make my own jigs and have been for many years and do not plate them and catch lots of cod. I also went to that site on the jigs and the unplated jigs would do just fine. Those prices are very reasonable. Better to lose $5-$6 to the bottom than $12-$14. When your out on the boat, watch the guys that are catching fish and try to duplicate that.(jig size, color of teaser, etc..)
I've been cod fishing since the 60s and I am still learning.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks sunchaser. As always, the info I get from you guys is great! Maybe, I'll be a fisherman someday and be able to give out fishing advice as well! My previous hobby before fishing was Home Theater. Now, that's a subject I could give advice on.

Tightlines!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.