NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a question to you guys with experience with deep drop trips. I picked up a Calstar 700XH for this spring's Abyss trip. 400-900 feet depths. Anyone use this rod on these kind of trips? Seems to handle 3lbs of lead OK but I'm a little concerned about going to 4 or 5lbs of lead. How often do you actually go to 4/5 lbs. I don't want to get caught light. Also, what's the opinion on the release rigs? Instead of the 2 hooks being above the sinker, the hook on this rig will be trailing below or even with the sinker. Do they catch as good? I'll use the 2-3 lb lead but will make my own cement release weights if I have to go to 4 or 5 lbs. I'm sure you guys have seen or used these rigs, just trying to get an idea about the end result. One more, what size 3 way swivels? Thanks for any help. Trip looks like it's sold out, gonna be a blast.

KPTrapper

· Registered
270 Posts
you will be making a mistake by using 5lb cement weights .They will be much larger in size and create a tremendous amount of drag on the bottom, having the same affect when drifting ,as a sinker weighing much much more!!
Cannon ball sinkers tend to roll moer and cause more tangles. Not a smart way to meet new people on a deep drop!!
Just use the rock cod sinkers.Up to 5 if need be and pretend it is a larger fish.

· Registered
2,086 Posts
daddy0 wrote:
you will be making a mistake by using 5lb cement weights .They will be much larger in size and create a tremendous amount of drag on the bottom, having the same affect when drifting ,as a sinker weighing much much more!!
Cannon ball sinkers tend to roll moer and cause more tangles. Not a smart way to meet new people on a deep drop!!
Just use the rock cod sinkers.Up to 5 if need be and pretend it is a larger fish.

Very good advice.

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. Cannonball sinkers were never an option for the reason you stated, but you make a good point about the size and drag of a cement sinker compared to lead. My point was more about how many times the 5lbs was usually needed...but because the conditions out there at the time will determine that, I'll just bring a heavier stick as a back up. If anyone with experience has used the Calstar 700XH and feel it's plenty for the overall trip, I'd rather not drop another $300 on a rod with more backbone. Thanks again

KPTrapper

· Registered
2,086 Posts
I'm not familiar with the xh but my guess is it will be fine for 5#. Hopefully you won't need to use 5# very often because it's a real pain. In my trips I've very rarely had to go that heavy. When I have had to use 5 lb it's been more a question of my arms being able to take it than my rod - it's amazing the difference between reeling up a 3 lb sinker and a 5 lb sinker. Personally I would not go spend $300 on a rod just for 5# sinkers - your XH might not be ideal but it isn't going to break because of a 5# weight - that's for sure. Sensitivity isn't a factor when your fishing above 3 lb anyway in my opinion. I think your best bet is to just buy a few 4 and 5 lb sinkers and hope they never come out of the tackle bag. Regarding rigs - keep it very simple - no breakaway rigs, no cement sinkers, nothing crazy - just one or two hooks above the sinker on 3-ways (just get the biggest you can find). I guess we all like to experiment with rigs from time to time and I'm no exception (unfortunately). I almost always play around with different rigs and almost always end up going back to my same old favorite one hook 2' above the sinker on an 18" leader with no teaser - that's not to say that's the best rig there is - I see plenty of guys catch plenty of monster tiles on other rigs of course - but the basics are pretty universal - 3-ways, hooks above the sinker (at least a foot above) and longish leaders (at least a foot). Good luck.

· Registered
270 Posts
I think your rod should do well ,but always bring a spare everything.just in case, I have never been on a N.E.trip where at least a few guys offered some personal gear to make a trip go smooth,
Make sure the spool release is well lubed and tight ,that seems to be the most common problem on these trips after all 3-5 lbs is a bit of tension on the spool. When you use it to keep adjusting to the drifts.

Bring a roll of electrial tape and some 16-24 oz sinkers also just mix and tapewell to make the weight desired.
Haven't lost a rig or sinker tilefishing yet but I may just pay for that ststement @ a later date .

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Bluefish Strips

I know all kinds of bait works for the Tiles, fresh fluke strips, bluefish, herring etc. Reading your post made me think...was that fresh bluefish strips?? Since the Fluke season closes the week before my trip..I was going to freeze and bring aboard, but was wondering how it would compare to fresh. I quess I know the answer to that, but just want to have the best **** bait I can have.( I bet fresh sea robin strips caught that morning soaked in Meddhaden oil would be a killer...tough on the hook and smelling real good.) Did you buy those bluefish or have em frozen. I know I tend to overthink this kind of stuff and keeping it simple is the way to go...but what can I say? Almost 2 months to go and I'm already tossing and turning. I'll be a little better starting May 15th. Thanks again for your help..after I get this trip under my belt all these questions will take care of themselves.

· Registered
848 Posts
Just to add to the conversation, on the last Viking Tile trip 2 weeks ago the guy next to me caught 3 nice tiles on plain clam bait, and not too much on the hook. He was fishing 1 hook. By no means is this an exact science. I used strips from a silver eel, and a variety of other combos. Caught 3 tiles but none really big. Last years charter tried a codfish rig with 2 squid teasers along with a strip of fluke and caught 30+ tile. The Abyss trip will let you experiment. As a matter of fact a fellow last year tried jigging for tile, and ended up with a tile, cod double header.

This post edited by dflound 12:17 PM 05/04/2009

· Registered
4,971 Posts
jtzannes wrote:
nothing beats freshness. Word. Strips of freshly snagged junk fish outperform any other bait for GOM groundfish. It's amazing how few people realize it and take advantage.

dflound wrote:
As a matter of fact a fellow last year tried jigging for tile, and ended up with a tile, cod double header. And there was no living with him after that. Better hope that fellow doesn't see this thread.

· Registered
898 Posts
I use a 700 xh on the Viking tile trips, and it's plenty of rod for the lead you'll need. I'm no expert, but I've never used more than 3lb. rock cod sinker, and usually only 2 lbs. is enough. Bluefish is a good oily, stay on the hook bait.

· Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
700XH

Thanks, plumber60, you made my day. BTW, sur-sink.com sells the rock cod sinkers at great prices, just ordered mine. The 5lb are pricey at $10 ea., but the 2's and 3's are 3 and change and beat any other price out there from what I've seen. Fresh fish sound like the ticket, but where do you snag junk fish on the abyss trip? Does the Viking spend any time at all on the way out fishing for the fresh blues/bait or is the by-catch used as it's caught? Hoping to luck out with some fresh squid at night...Appreciate all the info from you guys. Like the t-shirt says, time for me to "Shut up and Fish."

· Registered
1,848 Posts
I have had great luck with getting to the boat early and fishing right off the boat for some fresh bait - worked both in GOM trips and also fluke trips out of Gallilee, RI.

In fact while I was jigging with a Sabicki rig in Gallilee on one day trip for fluke I ended up catching a legal (at the time) 18" fluke on the Sabicki rig!

· Registered
2 Posts
Whats up guys, 14 years and a handful of deep drop trips later, I still count the days till the next "Captain's Choice" trip on the Starship. Always a great group of guys and nothing compares to the experience. June 19th is the next one and already getting the gear ready. If anyone reading this is going....cya out there.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts