NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm not the kind of person who gets into peoples business but i was on canarsie pier last night and there was these four chinese guys (i'm not racial) one guy pulled up a fish which at first i thought was a weakfish about 14 inches which i know is still not a keeper, but when i got a closer look it was a striper, these guys just put it in the bucket like it was a porgie or something, then they just threw the line back out to get more, i thought this was pretty @#@#%$ up i kindly ask them if they was gonna keep it but looked at me like i should just mind my business or pretended to act as if they didnt know, i told them the limit is one keeper at 28 inches or more because i told that these fish get really big and they are the reason why we dont catch to many big stripers in this area,but they just seemed to ignore me even though i just wanted to take that fish (including thier **** tackle and throw it right over the pier in the water,but thats not my place to do that.and these people then sell these numerous extreme shorts and sell them in chinese fish markets. i have nothing against the chinese as i do have many asian friends, but DEC is needed in these areas, this is why i go to montauk for stripers the people there respect these conservation laws, and that is why i catch cows over there,but i should'nt have to drive 130 miles to montauk to catch these beautiful fish at this size where i live right here in good ol'e BROOKLYN USA. PS is there a # that i can get a hold of DEC.

·
Registered
10 Posts
good to know that there are fishermen like you!!!i love you man!!!!!!but you havent caught no cow in montauk or anywhere son!!!!someday homie-lol lets get it on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

This message was edited by ed1mik on 10-5-01 @ 3:18 AM

·
Registered
37 Posts
here is a story for you guys.
I fish the Ponquogue Bridge almost every sunday & about 3 or 4 weeks ago,I saw a group of spanish
guys about 7 of them keeping well over their share
of snappers and at least 3 dozen short seabass & 2
short fluke.they were right next to me.I told them
that what they were doing was wrong,I told them they had to play by the rules & I explained why in
their own language since I speak spanish.they just
told me to mind my own you know what.
I walked away, went to my tackle box, took my cell
phone out & called DEC @ 1-800-TIPP-DEC.
I beleive it was a holiday that day & the guy I spoke to was really nice.he told me that he had no
one in the area but there was a couple of officers
in moriches.he was gonna see if they can make it.
he took my name & my phone #, thanked me for my
good efforts.went back to fishing and what do you
know, 1 hour later, here comes two guys,dressed
in jeans and hats,went straight to them,BUSTED !!
the results:
$ 25 for each short sea bass ( 36x25 = $900)
did not hear how much the fluke & the snappers were but I was smiling. don't get me wrong here,
I'm not racial at all, I just did what I did for the love of fishing & to try to do my share to help keep our resources in shape for the future.
thelambo1,keep up the good work !! keep a cellphone handy. God I love technology.
God bless...
tight lines..

hookem_cookem

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i do carry a cell phone but i didnt wanna start anything at the time i figure they probably really didnt know about fish regs but a DEC official would have definetly gave them a english lesson, everybody understands the language of $$$ especially when it gets taken out of your pocket they probably just didnt know. if they got ****y i might have called.

·
Registered
197 Posts
hookem,

I was out on the inlet in Shinne**** and was right next to a chinese family, they took a 15-18" striper, then proceeded to cut it up and use it as bait since they wanted blue fish and not stripers.

After asking them to throw it back, they refused and just went with their own business. After that I headed to the East side, but there was still nothing going on.

If you went out this Sunday, tell me how it was..

~Joe

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was fishing in Norwalk Harbor and caught numerous schoolies. The largest of 8 or so was about 19 inches, way under the keeper size.

As I went to throw the fish back some guy came up to me and begged me for the fish, he said he was a day laborer and hadn't worked in a week and that a fish that size would feed his family.

I was pretty overwhelmed but explained that if I gave him the fish and he was caught he'd have much bigger problems, like paying off the fine.

He got pissed and his friends were also pissed and I had to get going seeing all the angry stares I was getting. Not sure if some of you guys have had a similar dilema. I like to think of myself as a sportsman and pretty much let my actions be guided by the sportsman code of conduct.

But what do you due in a case like the one I described? Basically, to some of the regulars, who keep shorts and such I'm an uncompassionate guy who catches fish and throws them back when they could allow someone to eat.

The regulars who do not rely upon shorts to feed their families just srugged and say what can you do, it's been going on forever.

To tell you the truth, the whole thing has really brought me down, on the one hand I'm thinking of a world without stripers and then I think of this guys kids.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hey bluegil if it ever came down to no more stripers, there will be forever no more stripers, nothing could bring them back, as for scrams who wanted that fish, he should get a job or welfare or something,some people are unfortunate but there are options for these people, some of the people who was catching these shorts aso sell them,like i said there's options for them, but when the stripers are gone, there gone forever.

·
Registered
457 Posts
So the gentleman is a day-laborer. To me, that means he pays no taxes, and probably can't work "on the books" because he is in the country illegally. You were in a tough spot & I think I would have done the same thing you did. Don't lose sleep over his story either. There is an endless supply of Public Assistance for children, whether they are U.S. citizens or not. I'm sure his family would have enjoyed some fresh bass, but I doubt they are going hungry without it.

Stephen Byrne
NY Bight Editor
Nor'east Saltwater

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Please don't get me wrong as I do not advocate violating fishing regulations in any way. However, it seems to me that we are drowning in a glass of water on this issue. The undersize and over bag limit fish that are being referred to here are just a drop in the proverbial bucket. The lack of large fish at the western end of LI has nothing to do with these guys catching short bass. It is the natural movement of the fish, with the larger fish preferring the food laden East end of LI. I don't care if they closed fishing for 100 years, there will always be more large fish in and around Montauk (except during the spawning run in the Hudson). Much the same with fluke, it was difficult to find good numbers of keeper fluke in the NY Bight and GSB area, yet a trip to the North Shore or Montauk produced many more keeper fish. The larger fluke simply prefer the habitat of the East End and the North Shore.

If you really want to vomit, take a look at what gets sprayed off the stern of a dragger after a pull. There will be more dead fish (bass, short fluke, flounder, porgies, sea robins, skates, etc.) than all of the uninformed anglers catch in a season. All of this is perfectly legal, while the DEC writes tickets to some uninformed jerk who tries to keep a 1/2 bucket of shorts for dinner. Think about it...

Gamakatsu

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
You guys don't understand!!

DEC is a joke to most immigrants. Do you think they care if an officer gives them a yellow or pink piece of carbon paper that states they owe $25 per fish or even $250 per fish?? What do they care?

DEC is only a New York state agency. These violators all know that if they don't pay the fine, NOTHING will happen to them. Even if they are LEGALLY here in our Country, most of them (especially in Brooklyn) don't have drivers licenses, don't own houses, and don't have bank accounts. The ONLY thing of value to them in their wallets are their green cards and/or their Visa/Passports. Since those are FEDERAL documents, DEC & New York State have no authority to threaten to take them away to help collect their cheesy fines.

Do you guys realize that DEC presents ZERO threat to these people?? If they have nothing to lose, and DEC has no power to arrest them on the spot, then they will be on those piers EVERY DAY catching food to feed their families and/or to sell on the street for pocket money.

Trust me, don't lose any sleep because in the State of New York there are two sets of rules; one for us and one for immigrants. This is no different than the MILLIONS of dollars of uncollected parking violations that foreign diplomats refuse to pay to the City of New York every year! Our laws, our rules, our fines mean NOTHING to them.

To put it in a way we can understand, when I was younger I was upstate visiting a girl at a small private college. I received a $40 parking ticket from the "campus police" for parking overnight without a student permit. Did I pay it? No! Did I ever worry about it? -No! What did I care? I absolutely did not care because school's rules & government were meaningless to me. I knew that they had no authority to force me to pay that stupid fine. The Spanish guys on the bridge, the day laborers, the Chinese in Brooklyn ALL feel this same away about those STUPID tickets they receive from DEC. They come from countries where true punishments would be a month in prison or losing a few fingers. Received a pink piece of paper with some English writing and numbers on it is something they LAUGH about. IT IS A JOKE TO THEM!

Now think about this, how many of those Chinese guys ever carry ID on them that is written in English??? How many DEC guys speak Chinese??? Most of the time when DEC tries to write a ticket, they can't even get the persons correct name and address.

Finally, like it or not, the DEC agency is responsible for showing New York state that it has the ability to meet its budget each year by bringing in REVENUE. Some of that money comes from licenses and permits. The rest comes from fines. We are their CASH COW because we are the only ones who buy hunting/fishing licenses/permits and we are the only ones they can successfuly colect fines from. If you were a DEC office with a budget and a revenue quota to meet each month, who would you concentrate writing fines to, a group of pennyless immigrants with no permanent addresses or Joey the electrician with a house full of kids, two mortgages and no place to hide? Who is it easier for them to collect money from to keep their agency running??

DON'T GET ME STARTED!!!!!

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
New York fish & game enfocement officers have no authority to arrest? In New Jersey they arrest, carry guns, confiscate, and have broader search powers than do the police.

Gamakatsu

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
There is a big difference between authority and "authorization". Yes, NY DEC technically have the same authority as NYS troopers to arrest individuals. HOWEVER, they are not authorized by their superiors to arrest everyone they see who is not in compliance. There is no financial benefit to the State to arrest dozens of immigrants each day for killing short stripers or any other species of regulated fish. As a matter of fact, DEC officers rarely if ever arrest recreational fishermen in New York. When it comes to enforcing recreational fishing regulations, our DEC officers behave like meter maids; they identify violators and write tickets. They are understaffed and overworked. Half of the time when you call the TIPPS phone number you get an answering machine.

Many of these guys you see catching & keeping undersized fish are desperate men. Some are so desperate that they would actually WELCOME a night in jail and see it as an opportunity to get three cooked meals, a dry bed and a secure roof over their heads. Also, our jails are so overcrowded that we release drug dealers and car thiefs years before their sentences expire because we need the room for new immates. Our judges would never spend our hard-earned tax money to feed, cloth & harbor fishing violators.

Forget it. There is no threat. They can keep dozens of 10" stripers every day and our system will just let it happen.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
To think that only immigrants keep shorts is ridiculous and to blame them for the reduction in our fish populations is even more ridiculous. Some of the worst violations that I have seen and heard of were perpetrated by everyday anglers. In a previous discussion on here somebody had mentioned a police officer that was caught with 400 seabass and was not even prosecuted. In a case that I am familiar, 2 guys in Florida were caught with over 500 snook which they had been selling as "grouper". Their fate was much worse than the cop's as they had their truck confiscated, they were taken to jail and the judge hammered them, but good. I have witnessed private boats that catch a limit of fluke, go home and drop them off and come back out. The worst part is, these are people who don't need the fish and are simply greedy individuals.

Gamakatsu

·
Registered
235 Posts
Gamakatsu is right.. it is the people that poach everyday that are the problems. it's the guys with the burlap sacks that poach with out a care in the world do more damage then people think. These guys that fish blackfish all year long keeping 10-12 inch fish for the sushi market and the guys pulling wire and hand lining for bass all day long. there are more around then you would like to think. o well nothing i can do about it

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
Gama,

I don't think anybody here said that only immigrants keep shorts. I agree with you that they aren't the worse violators. The only point I was trying to make was that nobody should have high expectations that calling DEC to report them is going to change anything.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.