NorEast Fishing Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's up Al, stopping in to say hello and hopefully contribute to the forum.. Great job so far! I have this argument with a friend who swears by Bait-runners when chunking.. I use a neptune 7500 with the drag fairly tight.. He and others look at me like I'm nuts.. I haven't really lost a fish because of the method.. They like to hear the reel scream off line and then engage and set the hook.. That's fine, I just want to know which method you prefer.. It will help settle an argument.. ;) hehe..

Thanks!

ErikT

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hello ErikT,

Hmmm? Now that?s a great question! OK, to be really honest about this? My answer will have to be it all depends. Why I say that? Well? for starters, if you use a live bait (porgies, bergal or legal sized seabass), I would have to say? I like my drag running because a large bass will generally take the offering and swim some great distance before swallowing the bait!

However, if I am chunking (bunker, clam, mackerel, herring) ? I would definitely have to say? I preferred it locked! It hooks the fish fast and hard to prevent deep hooking!

Another thing you ought to know is? I rather use a conventional outfit rather than the big spinning gears. Why? It has more leverage and power to tame that big cow!

I hope my answer settled your argument! ;)

?Crazy? Alberto

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
ErikT,
BTW: Most of my bass are caught on plugs... but I guess I don't have to tell you how I really feel about fishermen that chunks for bass... Do I? :)

How's that Rav? ;)

"Crazy" Alberto

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Al,

Thanks.. I was speaking of chunking so you helped me out.. Rav you have some pair.. haha.. We better not see you trying to throw chunks in our spot in the spring.. We'll be bailing 30's while you are catching snappers at the camp.. hahaha..

ErikT

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.