NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where should you not go on a kayak? Are inlets fishable with kayaks? How about when the tide currents? How dangerous are they to a kayak fishermen? Any advice on safety precautions on kayaks?

·
Registered
895 Posts
if you've got the right kayak and safety gear, anything is possible. id think nothing of paddling from staten island across to new jersey on a nice day...i just bought my yak a few weeks ago and already i feel totally comfortable on it..its a lot safer and easier than i thought it would be

·
Registered
264 Posts
I would say you can fish anywhere you want on a kayak. But you should use a lot of common sense and you should also know your limitations and also tell someone where you will be fishing. You should plan out your trip. Look at nautical charts,tide charts,wind direction and moon phase. Then go for it.
[email protected]

·
Registered
440 Posts
You can go just about anywhere...but how safely depends upon your skill level. The first time you check out a place go just paddling. The other day I was around ponquoge bridge in HB with a rippin tide. I've been there before, so I know how to stay safe. Depends on your skill. 4 years, I haven't been in the inlet...truthfully don't plan on it. Ocean and sound though, but the inlet, you need brass ones.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I agree that a properly setup kayak with an experienced person can fish just about anywhere however common sense is a good thing to exercise. Places like inlets and strong currents are tought places to fish. A kayak is at a distinct disadvantage in these environments. You'll wear yourself out very fast in strong currents when you need to repeat a drift. Anchoring in such places is very dangerous. If something like a large clump of debris gets on your anchorline it could pull the kayak under. I read an account where this happened to someone. He had to cut the anchorline to free the kayak.

There are vast areas that are inaccessible to all other forms of craft or fishing where the kayak excells. So why not work to its strengths and fish there? Hit the skinny water flats and rocky, nasty places where boats can't venture and shore bound guys can't get to. There's nothing more fun than to be hammering fish in 1-2 feet of water and the boats are watching you through their binoculars. Its also fun to be out there fishing and its just you and whoever is with you and that's it because no one else can get there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I dont know how you guys go out there in those things. I get nervous everytime I go past one. I was wondering how they handle the wakes of all the passing boats in the inlet. I fish out of Great Kills and I have noticed alot more yakers this year. Becareful and have a save season.

·
Registered
895 Posts
tsmith...i'm prob one of the guys that u passed on your way out of great kills...we do appreciate nice boaters like yourselves who slow down when they pass us..kayaking is a safer that u think..i didnt realize it until i tried it..i get better every time i go out..think of it this way: COULD IT BE ANY MORE DANGEROUS THAN THOSE CLOWNS ON JET SKIS?

·
Registered
505 Posts
Took my first Kayak trip this afternoon. Left out of Morgan Park in Glen Cove. There was a bit of a wind and some white caps.

Getting around the jetty took a little doing but the Yak handled well. Took in some water from the higher then normal waves.
Despite the occasional swamping the craft proved very stable. They run low in the water but I see no safety problem if you use common sense.

It was an older model 2 seater LL Bean.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.