NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having a custom 10 foot surf rod (for plugs) built and the rod builder suggests a Daiwa Emblem ZA for distance.

Does anyone have experience with this reel ??

How about using Power Pro line also??

Thanks for your inputs ..

Thanks,

Edfish

·
Registered
300 Posts
Diawa Emblem ZA reels.
I have no experience using these reels but after
looking at the specs & write up looks like you cant go wrong with it.
I use fireline for the surf and it works great.
I have yet to try Power pro. Going to try it this
year on one of my surf reels.
Just remember to put mono backing on the spool before attaching the braided line otherwise the braided line will spin on the spool.
I use a penn 704z on a 10ft st.croix,
penn 6500 on a 9.6ft allstar breakaway,
penn 5500 on a 8.6 st.croix.
All spooled with #30lbs fireline.
You will definetly get more distance out of your
cast using either fireline & power pro.
My only advise is just when bucktailing
dont bounce the bucktail on a rocky beach.
You will snag and it can get quite expensive
for 150yds spool for either fireline or power pro.
GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR NEW ROD & REEL!

IBEW local 1049

·
Registered
28 Posts
I used power pro line last season, and I love it. I used the 50 pound class that has the diameter of 12 pound mono, got this stuff from causeway bait and tackle. You will see greater distance gained in your casts, and tight feel from the line. You must wrap your casting fingers with medical tape however, you will cut into you finger tips upon casting otherwise. Trust me on that

·
Registered
25 Posts
I own 2 Emblems. 1st was an emlem s-ia 3500. 2nd is Emblem X5500A. There are alot of different models, just 1 digit difference can mean alot both in quality and price! the X5500 is alot different then the X5500A. You must know what you are looking for, IA, SIA
X, XA etc. The Z series are there top of the line but if you want the same casting ability and a great reel the Xa
Series should do just fine without the cost of the Z series. I love my emblems and they do make quite a difference in my casts! Added a good 50 feet to my first cast with it! Check out Tackledirect.com and e-angler. There you will find different models and prices. Also check out Daiwa's web site for info as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hey forgot to mention Ron Arra also spoke highly of these reels in his long distance surf fishing book.He calls them a top notch distance caster as well as an excellent fishing reel. One note though, these reels are not the easiest to find parts for (shops have to mail out for them), but then again I have never had to replace any parts! Great reels!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.