NorEast Fishing Forum banner

Daiwa BG 90 reel, a good reel?

1K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  bluefishmaster 
#1 ·
Hi. I am thinking of buying this reel for bass chunking in the surf. Why I want to buy this reel? I am looking for a spinning reel that is equavialent to a Penn 9500SS for bait fishing. I read someone who post before saying this reel is much smoother than the Penn SS.

Have you even own a Daiwa BG or know someone who did?
How does it compare to the Penn SS or any other reel?

Any commments or info will be appreciated. Thanks. :)

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Bluefishmaster-
I own a Bg-60. Great reel. Very dependable. Have had it for about 8-10yrs now. No problems ever. Very smooth. I also own some penn ss models but I switched over to the Daiwas because I feel they are smoother.
I have become partial to Daiwa in the last few years almost exclusively. Don't get me wrong, Penn also make great reels.

#3 ·
Thanks, its comforting to know my friend is right. I will try out the BG90 in a few days. I mailorder it.

I will tell you how smooth it is. :)

Aiya, I'm not trying to bash Penn reels. I am trying to save money. I am getting it for $77.00. I know this reel cost very close to the Penn 9500SS but I get it cheap.

I cant wait to use it for the sharks or Cows I catch often. I am keeping my Penn for casting lures. I noticed a problem with Penn reels and Whiplash.

This reel I am getting will be good for #50 Whiplash.

#4 ·
I got the reel today. It looked good. I tested it out. The reel is lighter than the Penn I got. I noticed the reel holds 225 yds.-30lbs. The gears are good. I have my brother hold the line and I tried to pull him in like a fish. He sat on a chair with wheels. I pull him in with very little effort.
I think I bought a marlin reel or a offshore reel. I can pull 2 Stripers in at a time. WOW! :)

It is almost everything I wanted. It is missing a big fish. :)

I can't wait until May 08!!!
Do you think sharks have shown up yet? Maybe I will try it for sharks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.