NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Removing the platform this afternoon.. I was thinking of cutting in a transom door but can only imagine the problems that will arise..The boat originally had one and for some reason it was closed up..Anyone ever try it? The boat is a Aquasport 290..I'm probabaly gonna do it either way so any pointers would be great. Thanks guys, can always rely on NOREAST!!!!

·
Registered
430 Posts
transom door

No Fish,

No problem!

You've already got the most important step under way (...anticipating the problems that may arise) - anticipating what the issues of its construction will be and how you want it to look and operate.

Let me know if you'ld like some input. We do tuna/transom doors in my shop on occasion, most recently in a 36' Egg Harbor that I'll try to dig out some pics for. While some of the steps are common to most applications, customizing your door to work best with your boat may involve a bit of brain storming.

- Jay

·
Registered
826 Posts
MAKOMIKE IS RIGHT AGAIN!

Carry a block and tackle.. The door is just another way to let water in when backing down or in a a$$ sea.... There are nice but pretty much useless. If it is that big you will get it in with the block.. Bring some good gaffs and some tailropes. Thats all you really need.. What are you fishing for thats so big?!?

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Nofishathome
I own the same boat(Aquasport290).Had the tuna door installed by the dealer as an after market item.Two problems.The depth of the door brings it into the ****pit up to the deck and eliminates access to the scupper on the inboard side that you put the door on.Also the vibration of the engines caused the gel coat to crack between the door and the transom until I used a flexible caulking to seal it. MM's probly right on this one.Gin pole or just a block & tacckle on the tower leg will get that rare fish that you can't hump over the gunnel in the boat.

·
Registered
430 Posts
pipedream wrote:
Nofishathome
I own the same boat(Aquasport290).Had the tuna door installed by the dealer as an after market item.Two problems.The depth of the door brings it into the ****pit up to the deck and eliminates access to the scupper on the inboard side that you put the door on.Also the vibration of the engines caused the gel coat to crack between the door and the transom until I used a flexible caulking to seal it. MM's probly right on this one.Gin pole or just a block & tacckle on the tower leg will get that rare fish that you can't hump over the gunnel in the boat.

Good comments Pipedream.

The depth of the door issue is definitely one consideration. The gelcoat cracking however can be avoided with the correct fiberglass laminate schedule. Most important though in my opinion is to insure that the scupper operation/access isn't impeded whatsoever. Any chance you could post some pics of your installation?

And, while I'm still waiting for that fish that needs to be pulled through the door, they are handy items to step through from the swim platform.

Thanks, - Jay

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
I think adding a tuna door is a great idea and for me it would be a selling point on any boat. They do tend to leak though although as stated they double as an easy way to board the boat at a slip.

Big fish > 200 lbs or so can be brought over the gunnel with a block and tackle; most of us are not catching that many fish > 200 lbs these days anyway. I can imagine though if you were catching multiple giant bluefin per trip it would cut down on the de-stabilizing risk and time; plus it would be possible to measure a borderline sized tuna (ie close to that 73 inch mark) on the deck without killing it first, you could probably just gaff it in the mouth and slide it in.

Cost wise my 4 over 4 block and tackle isn't as nice as those $200 setups but was only $20 at Cabelas and works well without any modifications to the boat; I just tie it off to the hardtop frame.

You probably don't even need a lifting eye. On most hardtop or tower structures there are pleanty of places to attach a line; even if you attach the line somewhere near the center it still is going to lift a fish pretty much straight up and having it centered over the deck will help it swing it into the boat.

Jon

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.