NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have heard of people using a miter box and saw (hand version of course, not power) so that the cut is as straight as possible. I personally use a dremel spinning at high with a simple cutting tool attached. It is fast and as long as your hand is decently steady I think that it produces a better cut. Tight Lines.

G

·
Before you cut wrap one or two bands of masking tape over the area to be cut Cut thru the tape. This will prevent splintering Good luck IZZY

·
Registered
10,967 Posts
Skid Row.

The posts ahead of me are right on the money.

I use a 2-3"cut off wheel mounted in an electric drill motor to cut my blanks.

Capt Neil

Have Fun Fishing. Capt Neil
Custom Fishing Rods by Captain Neil

·
Registered
117 Posts
Skid,

Just my 2 cents for cutting blanks... Make sure you don't cut right thru the blank in one pass like a chainsaw thru a tree limb. Instead, you should lightly cut around the circumfrence of the blank to cut through the surface fibers of the blank. Afterwards, you can cut right thru and you won't have the problem of shattered fibers on the "new" butt end.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I think that is the beauty of using the Dremel with a cut off wheel, you can't spilt the blank because there is no need to apply a lot of pressure as there is in sawing. Anyone have a problem with spilting or otherwise aveing adverse affects using the cut off wheel or similar approach?

·
Registered
65 Posts
For those people without power tools, use a hack saw. To assist in making a perfectly even cut, tighten a hose clamp along side the spot you want to cut, then butt the blade right along side of it.

This method does two things; makes a perfectly even cut and prevents splintering.

redranger

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.