NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Cutoff slashes shark season

sptimes.com wrote:
A decade ago, Gulf of Mexico fishermen caught millions of pounds of shark.

Fishermen prized the fins, which commanded $20 a pound at the dock before they were sent to China for somebody's soup.

Tampa Bay area consumers benefited because the rest of the carcass had to end up somewhere. Shark would never compete for popularity with delicate snapper or grouper, but fillets were white and tasty enough. Local markets routinely sold them for only $2 or $3 a pound.

Those days are over.

·
Premium Member
74,095 Posts
loligo wrote:
Cutoff slashes shark season

sptimes.com wrote:
A decade ago, Gulf of Mexico fishermen caught millions of pounds of shark.

Fishermen prized the fins, which commanded $20 a pound at the dock before they were sent to China for somebody's soup.

Tampa Bay area consumers benefited because the rest of the carcass had to end up somewhere. Shark would never compete for popularity with delicate snapper or grouper, but fillets were white and tasty enough. Local markets routinely sold them for only $2 or $3 a pound.

Those days are over.

So we're supposed to feel sorry for some guys who actually bothered to and the carcass in addition to the fins, instead of just dumping everything but the fins overboard?

·
Registered
352 Posts
I thought i read somewhere,maybe commercial fisheries news that there was some kinda percentage of carcasses to fins.Meaning that you could not have all fins.Just a thought. i know almost nothing about shark fishing.Only went once in my life and caught nothing but slammer bluefish,then again i was about 8 years old.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.