NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellas, I want to pass on a story a friend related to me this week that involves a fishing topic. I was hoping to get a few opinions because I was unsure what to think.

He was doing business with a rod builder for many years. Had several rods done in the course of 10 years. However, he always had two rods that he never felt quite right about. Recently (this summer) a thread was started here on this site that caught his eye because of the similarities to his predicament. He followed suit and took these two rods back to the builder.

Without much of an argument, the builder agreed to totally rebuild both rods with the original blanks that he chose at no cost. These were not rods that were brand new. He had them for a few years so I was puzzled as to why the builder would so easily agree to rebuild them for free.

Should he have a reasonable assumption that there was something wrong with these two rods from the beginning? Or, was this just excellent customer service? I was no help to him because I am baffled.

·
Registered
47,014 Posts
I would assume that the builder stands by his work. He must have pride in his work and wants his customers to enjoy using his product. If you make a custom rod for someone it should always be a good fit, if not you would tweek it until it was.

Anyway I would never go anywhere else after that.

·
Registered
1,613 Posts
He did the right thing no matter if it was his fault or not.. and I would stick with him.
I bought a set of 2 expensive custom rods from a well known store about 5 years ago. They had a "lifetime guarentee"..
Anyway, I go to the store to buy 2 more, but I also brought in one of my 5 year old rods to fix a broken tip guide. He said that the guides aren't covered under the lifetime guarenttee and charged me about $10 to replace it. (Took 30 seconds to glue on a $2 part). Of course he lost the $400 sale
Some people just don't understand customer service.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I have had a "similar type" situation too. Let's just say I handled it but was angry that I had to. It seems to me that if the shop is willing to make good on both rods for free, that is a good deal for your friend. However, I question the motivation behind it. I guess it would be easy enough for the shop to re-sell those rods and never lose a dime.

The big question for me is what type of rod(s) are we talking about here?

This post edited by Savvy18 01:04 AM 01/01/2008

·
Registered
12,042 Posts
Quint, I think "that is the way it should be" !! You don't want to Over think it . Some people Are Genuinely trying to make things right by there customers. As far as the assumption there was something wrong with the two rods, There WAS, the customer was not happy. That in itself was enough reason to repair or rebuild.

Don

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As my friend tells the story, he believed the blanks that were originally chosen for the rods were not used. Now with something like that, as admirable as it is to rebuild the rods, can you honestly go back to that shop with the belief that your next rod will be built on the blank you picked?

My suggestion to him is that he give the shop another try when he builds his next rod. This time I thought it would be wise to ask the builder to cut whatever blank he chooses at the time he places the order. At least at that point he would have more confidence that the rod he gets is the one he chose.

Savvy: Both rods were "supposed" to be built on Calstar blanks. Can you give me the details of what happened in your situation?

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
Quint1129-

I really don't want to re-hash the details of what happened to me and drag the Lounge readers through it. I will PM you with my cell number and I'll tell you on the phone. What I will say here on this thread is that the rod I "chose" was also a Calstar. The rod I "received" WAS NOT! Which leads me to believe that your friend and I might have been dealing with the same shop.

I am very saddened that any shop would engage in this type of deception on it's customers. What could the profit be on two rods by switching blanks? $120 or so? Is it worth it to screw your customers and lose their business forever?

I would be happy to discuss this at length with ANYONE interested in knowing what shop it was that preactices such deceipt. However, I will only do so via PM's.

Quint, I'll be in touch.

·
Registered
300 Posts
When you spend big money on a custom rod, you should be 100% positive that you are getting a fair shake from the builder. If you have any kind of doubt that he/she did not build on the blank you chose, you should find a new builder. I would not care if they built me 10 new rods. As soon as you give me a reason to distrust you, you no longer have my business.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.