NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got my custom popping rod from Ralph (rodwinder) today.
It was so beautiful that I got to post a few pictures of the rod here. The tuna picture weaved by him is incredible.
He builds most my jigging and popping rods for me as he knows what I want since he is a great fisherman himself as well as he is a master rod builder. Thanks Ralph.

The blank is Japanese Smith 80P/35 which I purchased from Anglers Proshop. It is really hard to get Japanese jigging and popping blanks as blanks are not available to the public in Japan and we are fortunate to get those blanks from Angers Proshop.
Smith 80P/35 is kind of first generation blank for GT, but I found the blanks is still good for GT and tuna popping. It is light, durable and cast very well.

Nice GT caught with Smith 80P/35 rod.

And the rod's action.

This post edited by KILSONG 02:50 PM 02/06/2008

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi Kilsong. I'm new to this board. Very nice looking rod.

May I ask - how much lure weight do you think this rod needs at least to cast effectively? I'm looking for a 2pc blank that casts light stuff such as Hydro Tiger to BFT as well as heavier stuff to BFT, YFT and GT.

Tomo

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
garbageband wrote:
Hi Kilsong. I'm new to this board. Very nice looking rod.

May I ask - how much lure weight do you think this rod needs at least to cast effectively? I'm looking for a 2pc blank that casts light stuff such as Hydro Tiger to BFT as well as heavier stuff to BFT, YFT and GT.

TomoThe 80P/35 rods are originally for GT popping with heavy poppers in 3 - 6 oz range. If you like to cast Hydro Tiger, this is not the right rod for you.
For that purpose, I used 9' two-piece Shimano Tralejo (TRS-90MH2)with which you can cast 1 - 3 oz lures. I am pretty satisfied with the rod as I can cast pretty far small, light poppers and the rod is pretty strong enough for tuna.
You need two sets of popping rod for bluefin popping to cover 1 - 6 oz lures.

Here are pictures of 85 lbs bluefin using Tralejo rod.

This post edited by KILSONG 11:45 AM 02/09/2008

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
HungryJack wrote:
Wow, beautiful job Ralph !
Jack, I don't want to use this rod for a while as it is so beautiful and I had another custom 80P/35 rod built by Ralph.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.