NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
13,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have open array radar mounted on my hardtop. I bought a raft at the Javits Show this year and will be mounting it up there as well. In order for this to work, I need to raise my radar up 2’-3’. Does anyone know who in the Long Island area can do custom aluminum work? It’s a small project and I can do all shop drawings.

MakoMatt

· Premium Member
10,097 Posts
MM - I don't know where you fish out of, but we have an EXCELLENT aluminum guy right here in Seaford harbor:

Davidson Marine Fabrication

Tim Davidson
(516) 868-WELD
(516) 678-8488

He's the dude that did my arch and his work is both flawless and reasonable.

If you are in the area, give him a call, I highly recommend him and I'm a picky S.O.B.

rgds, Leprechaun

(This post edited by Leprechaun on 02/17/2003)

Attachments

· Registered
25 Posts
custom welding

vinny's welding did the arch sunken light holder , the rocket launchers
, radar mount with all wires ran inside the tubes he is and excellent welder Becareful where you put your raft. you said you had to rase your radar. make sure that if and when you need it to open there is nothing in the way at all.
hopefuly you never have to use it. But if you do it will be at the time everything is hitting the fan. and the last thing you or your crew wants to worry about is the raft getting stuck on/in the arch , tower ,rocket launcher .center rigger,lights, anteners. Please take your time setting up where your life raft goes.if you have room put on the front deck in its craddle with the hydro, release. This is the safest place as so it will not get caught up. The grady lady was my older boat 25ft sailfish. iI sold it after i did all the work on it. capt.tom Just Fish

· Registered
13,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
jstfish, thanks for the advice, much appreciated, its one thing to mount it, another to mount it so that it can be deployed if needed. I purchased the Switlik 4 Man Rescue Pod and due to the size of the container and cradle, you cannot use the hydrostatic release mechanism, it must be manually deployed. This dictates that I mount in on the aft section of the hardtop so that it accessible from the ****pit.

MakoMatt

· Registered
668 Posts
Don't waste your money getting one custom made, check out Consumer Marine Electronics. They sell ready to go aluminum arches for all radar types and you can even get one with running/anchor light attachments for less money then having one custom made.

· Registered
13,099 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys, I will check the Consumers Catalog. I bought a GPS and Radio from them at the Javits Show and had asked them if they had this. I was told they had one but it would not support an open array. I will double on check this.

MakoMatt

· Registered
707 Posts
EdP35

He has an open array radar -- he needs to have a heavy mast to support it. I would recommend one made with a main pipe supported by two smaller ones in a tripod type configuration. There are the strongest. The ones you see advetized in the catalogs are for smaller radome antennae. The price is also about the same. But that depends on who makes it for you.

Regards... Capt. Fred

PS: I did the drawings and Vinny built did all the aluminum work for my boat -- after 9 seasons I'm still very satisfied!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.