NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello fellow fishers,

Just an FYI: The past few days I've been prying our waters from the shore and have a few reports for you.

Shinne**** / Moriches: The weakfish are in with a mix flurry of stripers and fluke on small plastics. Also, last Friday morning I nailed my first bluefish of the season and a good friend nailed a striper on a pencil.

Great South Bay / Jones: This weekend I've was somewhat perplexed that the bergels and searobin are in full force! What does that mean to me? Well, it tells me the fluke are in already and that the blackfish has been in our waters for the past two weeks! To confirm my theory… I caught a few keeper togs and actually saw two fluke chasing sandeels on the surface! In addition, the party boats are working close to the shorelines and culling some very impressive flatties of the muddy bottom.

Also.. the shads are in and yours truly nailed a few on a flyrod (9 wt. intermediate line with a small clouser and deceiver).

Westend (North Shore / Manhasset): I also fished with Rich Tenreiro from R&G and had a blast catching all the stripers you wanted on small plastics. Also… we lived lined a few bunker and nailed a few impressive cows!

On the freshwater scene… Connetquot State Park… Is still hosting some very impressive browns, brooks and bows on wholly buggers and small nymphs. The lower beats has been the most productive spots and during some bright mornings… Dryflies and caddis has been the ticket (fish rising)! Massapequa Reservoir and Twin Lakes is hosting some stockies (browns & rainbows) on small roostertail spinner and kastmasters!

Kayaking: I paddled around the Island and found a few stripers in the back bays… and in the freshwater end… the crappies and bluegills are very cooperative as well!

With this kind of report… I can't believe we are still in the month of April! :)

Anyone out there with any (good or bad) reports?

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hempstead Harbor

I went to Hempstead Harbor with bunker all over the place. I dropped a chunk and picked up a 33". Fishfinder marked a lot of fish but not a lot of takers.
I didn't see anybody else out there over the weekend.

·
Registered
53 Posts
HEY CRAZY, ME AND MY USUAL BUD FISHED LEEDS THE OTHER NIGHT WITH BUNKER AND SAND WORMS. THE FISH WANTED NOTHING TO DO WITH WORMS BUT SEEMED WILLINFG TO TEEZ US. WE WERE ONLY THERE FOR ABOUT AN HOUR SATURDAY NIGHT FROM 10:30 TILL 11:30 (RAINING). MY BUD HAD A NICE PICKUP BUT LOST THE FISH AT THE SHORE LINE SEEMED AROUND 10LBS, BOY WAS HE PISSED. OH WELL THAT'S FISHING, STAY WET.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Wantaugh Bridges

Spent late afternoon early evening sat and sun around GI, saw fluke and either shad or weaks chasing bait, I threw swimmers, bucktails, bass assasins ,pink and white curly tails, fin-s, wild eye minnows and shad , darters poppers and tins(kastmaster w/ green tube). I GOT SKUNKED!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello BENNYBASS02,
Thanks for the report and to be perfectly honest with you…. Most of the big fish moved to the Hudson (spawning grounds) to do their deeds. Very soon they will be back on the Western Northshore grounds to play and the chopper blues will be right behind them.

Also, this weekend Rich (R&G) and fished the area and had lots of fun with small schoolies (12"-24") on small plastics. The conditions was raining, SSW wind blowing 12-15 knots and we fished during the first of the ebb tide…. Most fish were tight into the coves and working the shallow columns!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Kevin W wrote,
Wantaugh Bridges / Spent late afternoon early evening sat and sun around GI, saw fluke and either shad or weaks chasing bait, I threw swimmers, bucktails, bass assasins ,pink and white curly tails, fin-s, wild eye minnows and shad , darters poppers and tins(kastmaster w/ green tube). I GOT SKUNKED!!!

Last week I also worked the Wantaugh area and I saw big pods of unmolested bunker swimming freely.

From the looks of things, you threw the kitchen sink and they did not cooperate. :) Since you threw just about everything you had… that's a good chance that those shad or weaks were mistaken for bunker. Let's put it this way… if it was the weakfish - your bass assasins would have worked… if it were the shad - the small tins and small white curly tails would have worked. Therefore… it is safe to say that what you saw was a body of bunker.

Do you agree?

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Al,
you said that the big bass moved to the Hudson to spawn...which where did these bass come from recently...do they come from deep sea(montauk) & head north west to the hudson?...if so...when will they be back...what about the bass that will be caught over the next couple of months....do they leave to spawn?.....
When exactly is the fastest current between tides....how long after High/low is the ebb tide....slack tide...
thanks!!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.