NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking forward to April and those Croton Falls Browns. I have had success trolling Krocodile Spoons in Chrome and Chrome/Blue in the early part of the season. As we hit June Sidwinder and Fiords also come into play. On late afternoons Gold colored spoons seem to come into there own. I would be interested to hear about other lures and techniques that have been successful on the reservoir.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hey Surfcaster,

I troll leadcore with Sutton spoons early season, anything with a little pink in it was hot. Suttons only come in silver so I paint on a pink stripe with fingernail polish. Rainbow trout patterns worked well too. Silver and green, blue and silver, and orange are in my rotation also.

Small dogers with home made tinsle flys (ala great lakes style) also worked on occasion.

·
Registered
44 Posts
all this talk of fishing the nyc res. is getting me all excited!!. I live 5 min from kensico and cant wait to get my permit back. i love standing on the shore and casting my krok's. too bad we missed the fall run of big brown's in croton falls, but the stripers kept me busy for awhile..see you guys out on the water..

dont forget to set the hook!!!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Well, I have to chime in here. I too fish both Kensico and Croton Falls early with Sutton Spoons. I have two rods out with them at various depths and sometimes I'll have another spinning rod out with a Rapala. The important thing to remember here is that the fish are almost always, the browns anyway, in shallow water or water 30ft deep or less. The coves at Croton Falls are a good bet at ice out if you are trolling lures, not the middle of the lake. I wouldn't run anything, even with leadcore, more than 30ft. for browns (three colors). Lakers are a slightly different story, but I don't fish for them. Tell me about the big browns in Fall. I haven't experienced that. I've heard through the grapevine, by the way, that the FBI has to approve the reopening and the decision will be made March 11. I'm fairly certain they will open again, but I'm not sure it will be April 1. Gosh, I hope so. I can't survive without those reservoirs and the fishing they provide and I live in saltwater country, Norwalk, CT. Hope to see you guys on the water.
Bill O'C

·
Registered
16 Posts
surfcaster,yessssss sir-eeeeeee,the falls is a great rez...i too prefer leadcore<like crash.sutton flutter spoons and small rapalas<MY FAVORITE ALL TIME TROLLING LURE,,they seem to adjust to a wide variety of speeds unlike most lures that tend to "spin" or "travel",,had my boat there for years,then it died down and i moved to kensico,,<laker city..
peace

·
Registered
44 Posts
hey bill,
I also hope the fbi and the dep come to an agrement. the nyc water supply is some of the best fishing around. some of rivers that connect the resv. are spawning grounds for the trout. water temps,rainfall,sunlight all have an effect on when theses fish run up the rivers. you'll know when the start , just look for the big male browns leaping out of the water!!!
if you want more detailed info email me at [email protected]

dont forget to set the hook!!!!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.