NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to discuss about Crimping plier as jigging/popping fishermen start to use crimping more as knots for heavy lines can give problems when using heavy drag.
What kind of crimping pliers do you use and why do you thing the crimping plier your have is better than others ?

·
Registered
601 Posts
I just have a handheld Mustad crimper than can crimp up to 200 or 300# mono I believe. I like it because it can fit in my bag and I've tested the strength out and I've broken my line before the crimp slipped. It isnt small enough to fit on my hip, so it's not ultra tiny, but since I normally have my bag nearby it isn't a big deal. If I'm using heavy heavy line I'll double crimp.

I've read that the only crimper to make a 'perfect crimp' is the big $450 bench model with replaceable teeth, but I don't know anyone who has used it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
You might want to look at the Braid HD Power crimper, as it is pre calibrated and will disengage when the proper amount of pressure is applied. I belive they retail for about $90.00. :) Other than that I will stick with my bench crimper ;) Tight lines.

This post edited by Tunaman40 01:45 PM 01/03/2008

·
Registered
601 Posts
Tunaman40 wrote:
You might want to look at the Braid HD Power crimper, as it is pre calibrated and will disengage when the proper amount of pressure is applied. I belive they retail for about $90.00. :) Other than that I will stick with my bench crimper ;) Tight lines.

I definitely will, thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tunaman40 wrote:
You might want to look at the Braid HD Power crimper, as it is pre calibrated and will disengage when the proper amount of pressure is applied. I belive they retail for about $90.00. :) Other than that I will stick with my bench crimper ;) Tight lines. I agree with you. The right pressure is required to make a right crimps. I purchased the Braid crimping plier at the suggestion of Basil and I realy like it as I don't have to worry about how much pressure I have to give.

·
Registered
826 Posts
BRIAD CRIMPER IS GOOD!

I think if you crimp right the pressure is always going to be the same.. I dont know if you can really over crimp unless you can not get it right and squeeze or pinch the line pretty bad then you have a problem. I dont think about pressure to much and i do ALOT of crimping.. i use small hi sea hand crimpers. Got rid of my benches and went with hand helds! They hurt like **** but ahhhh!! HECK WITH IT!! lol

Kilson i want to get together and fish with you!! i am going to Cabo in february for 10 days and i am thinking of trying to plug a striped marlin! What are your thoughts?!?!

·
Registered
12,349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sportfishingusa wrote:
Kilson i want to get together and fish with you!! i am going to Cabo in february for 10 days and i am thinking of trying to plug a striped marlin! What are your thoughts?!?!
whereever I go, I always bring some jigs and plugs.
I got to make a special arrangement with the Capt if you like to jig or cast poppers as most boats troll there.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I should change my screen name to Mrcrimp. I've been crimping my whole life. If I sit down to do serious crimping, I use the Momoi bench press. It's the best. Rather expensive as you have to buy the bench crimp and all the crimping dies. It's around 600 bucks all said and done.

For the tackle box I take three hand crimps with me. I use the Sevenstrand and Hi-Seas. You can over crimp. Always leave the crimp round at the ends of the crimp. Otherwise, the crimp will cut into the line. A perfect crimp is awesome.

Using a crimp to a solid ring with a delrin ring is very strong. Put a split ring to the solid ring and you can change poppers very fast. That simple single sleeve lifted 65 pounds of weight without showing any slippage.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.