NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crazy:

As a resident of South Central Connecticut, it always seems that we have to wait for the Stripers to arrive longer than most areas in the northeast.

Studies have shown we receive a mix of the migrating Stripers (Chesepeake and Hudson stocks), but it appears they like to take their sweet time getting here.

There are reports of schoolies being caught off a few sandbars in the area, but judging from your past experience, when would you predict the big girls to arrive in this area (New Haven County)

It seems like people in New York have had a steady pick for quite some time, while we in CT. have been stuck with reeling in the big skunk for the last month.

Any insight?

Thanks.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Whaddya Talking About? We Got Fish Right Now

Soundfisher,

I dunno 'bout you but we've been clobbering lots of them on the lower Housy. Last two hours of the incoming and first two hours of the outgoing.

Sandworms working well, better than artificials.

If you're flyfishing...olive and white clousers.

Whaddya waiting for?

-FWW

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Soundfisher,
The key to finding the big girls is BIG BAIT! If you find a pod of bunker or herring in your area... The probability is HIGH! Otherwise... the big girls will swim along the deeper water column and pass your fishing grounds.

As for the schoolies... There are schoolies all year round in your area! ;)

Fishweewee
Stop harassing those dinky fish with sandworm... Shame on you!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Crazy

I've fished the Housy all winter with success, but I'm talking about the Sripers entering Milford/New Haven Harbor. I'm talking fishing off the beach or the jetty. Devon has gotten old for me and I'm looking to hit my favorite haunts, but the fish have not arrived yet. It just angers the **** out of me that there's a crapload of Bunker, Stripers, et al. in New York, and they've been there for quite some time.

We in CT are getting the shaft the way I see it ;)

SF

·
Registered
269 Posts
Gotta Agree With Soundfisher

Western Sound stinks on the CT side.

First of all, in the summer, it's like a hot tub. A really filthy hot tub with all sorts of nasty sewage and industrial effluent.

Towards Rhode Island...that's another body of water altogether. Methinks the fish like it there better.

Which is why I spend so much time in Long Island. ;)

Eh, Kooky Al, I've been flyfishing and bucktailing the Housy lately. Haven't used worms for bass in years...I learned too many gut hooked fish. :(

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey WeeWee

Now that we agree that the area we fish is lacking in comparison to the states to the left and right of us...I have a proposition.

Crazy tends to skip CT when he travels to go fishing. I say we get him to come fish in our dirty, polluted waters that we call home. Maybe he'll bring US some luck. And if he doesn't, we'll tie him up and steal all of his NICE plugs :) Just kiddin' Crazy, we'd never do that to you ;)

SF

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
:) (hehehehe)... Sorry guys, Ya gonna need to try a little harder! ;)

Fishweewee wrote:
...Sandworms working well, better than artificials....Whaddya waiting for?

Sorry WeeWee...
Don't want to bust your macaronis... but there are many readers trying to learn here (Striped bass)... and comments like that can cause unnecessary pressure & damage (gut hooking) to our resource!

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.