NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Crazy:

In the past, I've always used various rubber to catch spring schoolies. This year was no different. Then last week, an old timer standing on the side of me was nailing em with a Krocodile spoon.

So for the **** of it, I bought a 1/2 oz. Kroc (gold with an red stripe along the bottom), changed the treble hook to a single, and have fished the local sandbar over the last week. I can't believe the number of fish I am catching versus the numbers I caught with the rubber.

I'm totally perplexed for the simple fact that 99% of the people I'm fishing on the side of are using rubber. I've only seen one person use a spoon other than me.

Can you help me out with this one? Am I just proving conventional belief may not be right (using rubber)or is this just a luck streak? Personally, I don't think it is because even though I'm nailing em on the spoon, I've switched to rubber on several occasions and the number of catch dramatically decrease.

What's your take on this and the use of spoons?

SF

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Soundfisher wrote:
In the past, I've always used various rubber to catch spring schoolies. This year was no different. Then last week, an old timer standing on the side of me was nailing em with a Krocodile spoon.

…Can you help me out with this one? Am I just proving conventional belief may not be right (using rubber)or is this just a luck streak? Personally, I don't think it is because even though I'm nailing em on the spoon, I've switched to rubber on several occasions and the number of catch dramatically decrease.

What's your take on this and the use of spoons?

Hello Soundfisher
Wow… I don't know how I missed this question… I guess I've been fishing too much... :)

To answer your question… Yes, I've had some incredible days with tins. However, there are days they will not give it the time of the day. It all depends on the conditions… In the event when there are many feeding stripers (heavy competition) you can have a banner day with tins because a tin is more of a "reaction" lure (faster presentation) than a plastic rubber. Also, if you are seeking the larger fish… the rubber will be the "key" because it is more lifelike and the slower presentation (Big bass are sluggish and finicky) should do the trick.

Also… You have to know that there are no defined rules when it comes down to fishing! Therefore a good fisherman will always try new things and have an open mind. One should always try to think about what's happening with the surroundings and try to adapt.

This case, the old timer (good odds that he is a local veteran) knew that there were lots of bass chasing bait and that is why he opted to zing a tin to get the frenzy going! ;)

With that in mind… Would you ever use a tin at night? Anybody wants to give this a try and back it up with a reason?

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Al,
Bass seem to hit on sight & on vibration at night...the tin is slightly reflective at night w/a good moon or near an artifical light. Bigger tins work well at night b/c of a larger surface area that will reflect more light(resembling a baitfish) I think that motion & smell are a big player in nightime bass fishing..

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Hello KevinW and Mikey413,

Thank you for your excellent points!
1) To get great distance and attach a teaser (great combo)…. And 2) reflective and motion will definitely attract a bass!

In fact, late last night (top of flood tide / 2:45am) I fished with a good friend of mine and the place where we fished required great distance…. He used a 2 ½ ounce bucktail and I used a shorty hopkin (tin)…. He nailed 2 quality bass + 4 bluefish (destroyed his bucktail)…. And I had 5 bass and 2 bluefish (tin still in great shape). Also… all fish were released (NY opening day is May 8th)!

The reason why I used the tin … There were lots of spearing and small herring swimming around! ;)

"Crazy" Alberto
[email protected]

·
Registered
238 Posts
Oh wise BuddhAlberto,

What are the contributing factors to successfully catching fish when using Tins at night?

Are Tins as productive when the water is murky, rough or calm, or all of the above.

How about current moon cycle? I assume the brighter the moon the more reflective they are going to be during the evening.

By the way, WHERE WERE YOU FISHING LAST NIGHT.

Thanks
Space

·
Registered
11 Posts
rubber Stinkiness?

I just got in a new pouch of Storm wildeyes. They look and function great. However, they have that rubbery, petrochemical, or whatever smell to them. As a fisherman, I am so carefull not to get any oil from the reel, the engine, or the fuel onto the lines or lures. But these thing right out of the package have a pungent odor to them that is not natural. I thought about soking them in baking soda or kosher salt over night then washing them off. Has this been a concern to anyone or am I being overly concerned?
Ishmael, Shelter Island

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
"petrochemical smell"?

That's funny. When I opened mine they smelled mysteriously like Anisette, so much so that I was tempted to dip them in my espresso! Speaking of smells and their effects on fish, I once saw this PBS special on a study that was done and documented on video. They rigged up an underwater video camera to record fish reactions to artificial lures that were soaked with different scents and trolled behind the boat. The fish that were videoed seemed to have slight preferences from one natural scent to another. However the big kicker was that when the "research" was over, the people doing the trials figured "what the heck" and they then tried lures and baits that were dipped in all sorts of unnatural things like motor oil, oil/gas mixture and water from the boats bilge etc. And guess what? The fish went crazy over some of those scents too! They either preferred or had no reaction to them in seemingly the same proportions that they had to the "natural" scents. Go figure. Anyway, I did my own experiment last year fishing from Magnolia Pier on the last three nights of striper season. Each night there seemed to come about an hour of time that the water started boiling with stripers ranging from 24" to 30". Being that they were on the top I tried 3" rubber spearing on 3/8oz lead heads. I flipped it out to where I saw the action and slowly retrieved to keep it near the top. I did this till my arm got sore to no avail. I realized that I had a little bottle of bunker oil in my bag and soaked the rubber spearing in it and tried again, WHAP! Needless to say I spent the next two nights having a ball with my light pole and tackle and my bunker scented 3" rubber spearing. Using such a small hook enabled all caught to be returned unharmed so that I can catch them this year nice and fattened up!

Richard

><}}}}'>

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.