NorEast Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the last fews weeks there has been a "bloom" of young crabs from Smithtown Harbor to Middle Grounds and east to rocky Point ( it may be bigger, but this is where I fish). In 30 years of fishing on LI Sound I never seen this before, is it a good sign, furture food for the bass or will it crowd out something and hurt next years fishing?

·
Registered
37 Posts
partychief, me too witnessed it. was fishing
hortons point on sunday and saw the water practicly full of them.everything from porgies,blues,etc.. were feeding on these tiny crabs.can't answer your question though but I'm sure someone will.
tight lines.

·
Banned
3,430 Posts
I was wondering the same thing. I first noticed it a few weeks ago on the night of the new moon while fishing in front of Bridgeport Harbor. A week later, the water was still full of clouds of them in Smithtown bay too. This weekend we saw them at the Triangle. None of the oldtimers that I fish with have ever seen anything like it. I hope they are not a dangerous species from overseas that hitchiked here in the bilge of a freighter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.